2 Border Tracks???

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 18:38
ThreadID: 20076 Views:2259 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Had to do some work in the Riverland yesterday so decided to stay overnight and "take the long way home" (to Adelaide) down the top part of the Border Track from just out of Renmark to Pinnarro.

Found a track running South from the Mildura Rd smack on the Vic border no worries. The track was basically 2 wheel ruts and pretty overgrown. Often I had to stop and clear the way, break off protruding branches etc to save the duco.

After a while I noticed that about 20 metres to my left (East) there was another track running parallel. From what I could see it looked much more substantial than the track I was on. I thought that it must be something to do with the Murray - Sunset National Park.

Quite a bit further on there was a cross road/track and I decided to pop over and check out this other track. I was very surprised to see it clearly signposted "Border Track". What was I on? I was clearly closer to the border (running along the fence). Was I on an old Border Track and there is now a new one? Then I had the comical thought that the Border Track was now a Dual Carriageway! (then I realised if that was the case I had been driving on the wrong side of the road)

I took off down this new track which was much wider and more like a graded track although quite sandy in places. What interested me was how different the 2 tracks were despite being only a stones throw apart. The 1st was quite firm but overgrown whilst the 2nd was quite sanding with some small dunes developing on some of the crests, obviously due to the fact that a wider area had been cleared and exposed to the wind etc.

Anyway, both were interesting in their own way. I would be interested if anyone knows any more about why there are 2 tracks?

Thanks

Trevor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 19:10

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 19:10
the duel carraigeway would make sense, the well used one heading out of SA and the one heading back in unused for 20 years.
AnswerID: 96494

Follow Up By: navaraman - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 21:55

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 21:55
LOL
FollowupID: 355228

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 17:31

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 17:31
actually N M I can bag sa as I am an expat. spent some good weekends with mates drinking er I mean fishing up the river
FollowupID: 355364

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 19:12

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 19:12
probably a old track that was decommisioned for erosion/overuse issues happens a lot for smaller sections or maybe old pastoral land track that was later added to the park.

dont talk too much or tread lightly will be onto you.
lol just kidding.
be up there in march
AnswerID: 96495

Reply By: DesF - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 19:39

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 19:39
Hi casnat . Have done the "border track"( the real one on the fence line ), in a Subaru in 95, on the bikes in 96 and the Pajero in 02. It is a real trek down the fence, a bit over grown but much more interesting trip than down the " new track". In 95 & 96 we went all the way to Bordertown & in 02 we turned left onto the Sunset Track over to Pink Lakes . Magic driving .Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 96499

Reply By: MarkTheShark - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 20:49

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 20:49
Casnat

We drove down there a few weeks ago and there were strong winds blowing sand and dust. I assumed that the newer track has been put in to avoid erosion near to the fence. The track next to the fence tends to be straight whereas the other track winds around a bit in places.
AnswerID: 96521

Sponsored Links