Anyone done a DIY Immobiliser?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 22:25
ThreadID: 20085 Views:3694 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Am keen to speak to anyone who has done their own "hidden switch" to imobilise their TD Hilux.

I was thinking that a push button switch that you hold down at the same time as cranking the engine would be the way to go. Although ive read in the archive about Immobilising the fuel pump. Each has their pro's and con's no doubt.

Has anyone done either to the TD hilux and would be keen to share their knowledge?

Im fine with the electricals, just not with the mechanics of where to tap into the fuel pump etc. And I dont want to buy a super complex alarm which knowing murphy's law will break down when im a zillion miles from the nearest soldering iron.

Cheers,

Glenn.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Casnat - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 23:22

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 23:22
not sure if you are auto or manual but for autos an easy idea is to put a hold down button like you suggest into the wiring to the Neutral Safety Switch (this is the device that only allows you to start an auto in park or neutral.
AnswerID: 96557

Reply By: bundyman - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:50

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:50
Glenn,

Biggest thing to remember is not to just wire in a switch for you fuel cut-off solinoid. As (for the 1HZ anyway) it as easy as running a short wire with aligator clips from the battery to the solinoid to bypass this.

I had mine stolen last year and so have put aother fuel solinoid in the line with a hidden switch. Hopefully the low life scum won't have enough time to go looking for the problem when they run out of fuel 1km down the road.

Cheers,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 96597

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:38

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:38
with your subsidy for fitting and possibly a discount from you insurance company you can get them fitted for around $100 and you will have plenty of time to sit around drinking beer watching the 1 day finals this weekend
AnswerID: 96625

Sponsored Links