Stealing Len's Plaques

Submitted: Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:09
ThreadID: 20097 Views:2046 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I cannot beleive that people who travel Len Beadell's roads are stealing his plaques and even the replicas replacing stolen originals. After all that man and his crew did for Aussie travellers, it really p#$#$# me off.

link
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: signman - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:30

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:30
I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. I'm looking forward to do a lot of Len's roads this year- with the aim of viewing as many plaques as possible.

But howz this for being brazen......Len was giving a speech about his exploits at a club (not Shepparton)...after the speech one of the members quite proudly approached him with "so you're the man- I have one of your plaques hangin behind my bar at home".....
Now what would you do with boof head like that????

TAKE ONLY PHOTOGRAPHS-LEAVE ONLY FOOTPRINTS
AnswerID: 96592

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:37

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:37
I have no idea what I would do, but I can bet Len found the right words!!!
FollowupID: 355293

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 10:23

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 10:23
Signman, I think it was you who asked me about permits for the area we are travelling through. I spoke to a guy who is travelling across the Anne Beadell in July about travelling solo and getting permits. He panic's and immediately rings up the appropriate people and gets them straight away over the phone. No hassels. Only needed permits for SA none for WA for where he is going.
cheers
Des
FollowupID: 355298

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 10:13

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 10:13
I can almost understand the temptation people feel to steal Len's original plaques although I certainly don' condone it. How utterly selfish and disrespectful to Len. But for the life of me I can't understand why people would want to steal replica plaques that have no real historical value of there own. The mind boggles!!!

:o( Melissa
AnswerID: 96601

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:07

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:07
I agree with you 100%..

But honestly you are suprised these days that people would steal them?? Im not... Suprised they dont take the soil around the plaques too

Are they offered onsale in places around the traps? Maybe servos around the area would save pricks stealing them...
AnswerID: 96617

Reply By: Graham - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:45

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:45
Some people will go to great lengths to knock stuff off.......look at the trouble some wankers must of went to, to remove the insulators from the poles on the OTL on Cape York
AnswerID: 96627

Reply By: jaaap - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:06

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:06
And who destroyed the First Order Survey Pillar at Arrabury on the Queensland/ South Aus border just to souvenir the brass plaque????

Bull dozed the pillar with their 4by and then used a cold chisel to remove the plaque!!!!

I hope they damaged their vehicle

Jaap

AnswerID: 96634

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 13:04

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 13:04
I was part of the Toyota Landcrusier Clubs expedition to move the Ration Truck last June.
I was the bloke who carried the huge Desert Oak Post that was placed on the side Gary Hwy to replace the old Liebig post that Connie Beadell mentions in that article.

The people who steal those plaques are the lowest form of life as they do not consider the time effort and money that is expended by all concerned to actually replace or maintain them.
I am not talking about government money being involved.
I am referring to the ordinary people, who like myself and other members of my club do it to benefit other travelers by trying to preserve a little part of history.

If I ever caught someone vandalizing or stealing one of these icons, well you can guess the rest.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 96644

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 13:54

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 13:54
You know John, the sad part about the mentality of these people is you could perform attitude adjustment with said Desert Oak Post and they'd complain about being a victim.
I was only having a discussion on a similar subject with my wife last night. When I was a kid I respected the local sargeant and feared he'd tell my father if I mis-behaved.
Back in the good old days people where held accountable for their behaviour.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 355331

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:06

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:06
I should have also mentioned that one of the main reasons that the Ration Truck was moved was because people were stealing bits of it.

Doug Stoneham (Lens Bulldozer Driver) was with us on that trip and was astounded at the amount of stuff removed or damaged in the 5 years since he was last there.

And Geoff M your spot on about the days of old and the local coppers and your dad.
I think most of us middle to to older generation would remember and concur with your comments.
Not the kids of today though the "Hit me and your in the $hit" type attitude encouraged and developed by a small section of society in our children makes for very difficult parenting.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 355332

Follow Up By: Moose - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:14

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:14
Greetings John from a Qld TLCC member. Mate do you call the education system a "small section of society"? Too many bloody do gooders stufffing up society!
FollowupID: 355334

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:35

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:35
My wife and all her friends work in the Education system...let me tell you it aint the system. It is society! The parents! The administration is dead scared of the parents because they can, will and do sue, and the kids know it. Now I ask you how can an education system be expected to police kids behavior under those circumstances? And if you were a teacher you would find you are completely powerless.

If I ran a school, you would as a parent have to sign a contract detailing exactly how your kids would be disciplined, and if you didn't like it, I'd say there are plenty more schools. But in the State system they can't do that. But perhaps parents who send there kids to private schools and pay huge fees are more tolerant of such arrangements and of appropriate discipline.

PS I sure would love to meet Doug. Those guys spent so much time out there it is unbelievable.
FollowupID: 355337

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:37

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:37
sorry "their kids"

David...any chance of a way to edit your posts after you post them?

:-)
FollowupID: 355340

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 18:36

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 18:36
Hi Moose you caught my sediment completely, I was trying to be a little tactful in labeling a small section of society as to a large degree David O is correct about a system / world gone bloody mad.

David another interesting thing was it turned out that Doug Stoneham is actually my second cousin.
Lived with the bloke for almost 2 weeks and only worked it out on our second last day together during lunch break on the way back to Alice springs.
We were both dumb struck when we worked it out.
I rang my Mum (Doug's Cousin as it turns out) on the sat phone, she was staggered as she had lost all contact with that side of the extended family except for the one link that counted.
That link being my 96 year old great aunt (Doug's and my mums Aunt)
Small world eh !!!

The unfortunate thing is that Doug is now very very sick and the prognosis is not very good. They thought he may not make Xmas 04, but he's hanging in there.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 355377

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 18:37

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 18:37
I notice there are 2 kinds of parents (3 actually) I work at the pool and tell a kid off they tell there parents parent 1 replys well you probably deserved it parent 2 comes over and has a go at me for trying to save their little darluing from themselves and parent 3 - well parent 3 isnt there they dropped there 5yr old kid off and went to the pub
FollowupID: 355379

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 19:09

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 19:09
John,

That is sad news. The writer in me would really love to have been able to hear about the project from Doug's point of view. I am ever dumbfounded that these guys stayed working in those conditions for as many years as they did. Yet I understand it, as anyone who seeks adventure and has seen the remotest parts of Oz would.
I don't know how many had wives and kids but damn it would be a good story. I wish I could meet him.
FollowupID: 355385

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:07

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:07
What about this.....

On all the new plaques, have stamped through the middle.....

"IF YOU ARE NOT STANDING ON ONE OF LENNIES ROADS, THEN THE PERSON WHO SHOWED YOU THIS IS A WANKER!"
AnswerID: 96651

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 14:17

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 14:17
or not
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 355461

Sponsored Links