roads in the dampier peninsula

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 02:47
ThreadID: 20128 Views:1901 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I was just wondering what the roads were like in the dampier peninsula.broome capeleveque road and the manari rd.
thanks
leigh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davo - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 16:36

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 16:36
We did Cape Leveque in September last year. Wet hadn't gone through as yet, so I can't comment as to their condition now.
The Road was fairly corrugated, and after talking to some others at Kooljaman campsites that had done gibb river road, they said GRR was perceived rougher corrugation-wise than the cape leveque road.
They're in the middle of the wet season at the moment up there, so it could be hit-and-miss with access and conditions.
Try phoning Kooljaman Resort for latest update, since they have trucks that deliver goods to them weekly.

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers,
Davo
AnswerID: 96810

Reply By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 09:09

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 09:09
Hi Leigh,

Like Davo we travelled up the Dampier Peninsula last year, and as he said it will be different now during the wet. The condition of these roads depends entirely when they were graded. We found the roads very corrugated from the main road up to the turn off to Middle Lagoon, and then much better up to Kooljaman. We also travelled the Gibb River Road, which was in fantastic condition, barely corrugated at all. The visitor information centre at Derby seem to be up to speed about what roads have been graded recently, so I would send them an email just before you are ready to go.
Dampier Peninsula is well worth a visit, so good luck
Happy travels
Anni
AnswerID: 96903

Reply By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:01

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:01
Alot of the roads are in fairly good nick now as all the repairs have been pretty much completed after monty (I think it took em 10 odd months to fix the dirt ramps on either side of maitland bridge it took out) if the low up there now becomes a TC it could well change, but conditions are pretty good for the time being.
MRDWA road reports go through most of the roads that way, so it wouldnt hurt to give the recorded voice a call.
AnswerID: 97311

Sponsored Links