flinders ranges, and all that....

Submitted: Friday, Sep 20, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2013 Views:2436 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
heading for flinders ranges about monday... anyone been there of recent and can give a little update... anything we should know about ...roads bloked best bits to see and where NOT to go thanks. Never been there before ... been passsed a few times but on the way to somewhere else. Thought we would turn off barrier hwy at Yunta and head across. What I,ve read in previous forum that seems ok. Is there a road across from the silver city hwy between B/hill and Mildura to Yunta or do you have to go around the barrier, or all the way to B/hill. Hilux 3ld, 4x4, no trailer, and two at 50yrs plus a bit more!!! Thanks folks appreciate the imput.... Des :))
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Axel + Karen - Friday, Sep 20, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 20, 2002 at 00:00
Des, we were there prior to the birdsville races,,magic place, great accomadation at wiipena pound ,resort ,resaurant,bar, camp ground,,, we found best way to see ranges is to take air tour/ $90 per head for 1/2 hour ,,gives good perspective of size,,then do the drives /walkes ect,, we cant wait to go again,,,
AnswerID: 6797

Reply By: BAZZA - Friday, Sep 20, 2002 at 00:00

DES - FABULOUS COUNTRY UP THERE - BOTH FLINDERS AND GAMMON RANGE - BOTH TOTALLY DIFFERENT BUT ONLY CPLE HUNDRED MILES APART - THERE ARE ROADS TO YUNTA FROM RENMARK AND MORGAN HOWEVER DONT KNOW ABOUT THEM - B/HILL IS AN INTERESTING PLACE IF TIME PERMITTING - THE ROAD FROM YUNTA TO GAMMON RANGES IS/WAS EXCELLENT - ARKAROOLA (TIME PERMITTING IS A MUST-SEE) THE CURNAMONA/FLINDERS RANGES ROAD WOULD BE I PRESUME NOT USED REGULARLY - ARKAROOLA DEFINATELY NEEDS 3/4 DAYS - TIS A PRIVATELY RUN SHOW - BIT LIKE A SKI-RESORT - DEAR BUT --- / NOW FOR FLINDERS RANGE - PLEASE CHECK OUT WILLOW-SPRINGS STATION TF 0886 480016 - ITS A WORKING SHEEPSTATION BUT BEST OF ALL IT HAS THEIR OWN 4WD TRACK AROUND THE BOUNDARY - TAKES 4/5 HOURS - NOT REALLY TOO HARD (HOWEVER TRY YOUR HAND ON THE "MOONWALK TRACK" (MODESTY FORBIDS ME IN ADVISING THAT "I" NAMED IT) HOWEVER THAT NEEDS EXPERIENCE PLUS. CARMEL AND BRENDAN (REYNOLDS) ARE FABULOUS PEOPLE - THE ACCOMMODATION IS VERY GOOD (WELL - IT IS THE OUTBACK) THEIR BOOKING OFFICE IS F.R.A.B.S HAWKER SA. E-MAIL FRABS@INTERNODE.ON.NET - ARKS E-MAIL IS ADMIN@ARKAROOLA.ON.NET - HOPING THIS HELPS A BIT - GUARANTEE YOUSE WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME - SAY HELLO TO CARMEL/BRENDAN FOR US (MR/MRS WEES OF THE NEVA NEVA)
AnswerID: 6799

Reply By: Rick - Friday, Sep 20, 2002 at 00:00

Try doing a PAR...this is the Public Access Route, of which there are about 18 in South Aus. You are allowed to travel, provided you stick to the 100 m wide corridor, over many parts previously requiring the land lesee's authority.
There are a few simple PAR's around Blinman, and the best map is a current RAA map of the Flinders Ranges. Bset guide is the book published by The Royal Geographical Society of South Australia, edited by S Barker, called "Explore the Flinders Ranges".

On your way back south just past Hawker, go through Cradock and stop for a meal at the hotel...an experience. Same for the Prarie Hotel at Parachilna, but that is more upmarket.
A thorough trip of the Flinders would take about 4 weeks; 2 weeks for the Gammon Ranges, so be satisfied with "pockets". Some of these include Willow Springs, the gorges like Brachina and Bunyeroo north of Wilpena Pound, Parachilna & the Prarie Hotel, Blinman,in the central Flinders. The more arid Gammon Ranges is for me, the best and most awesome section. Visit Grindells Hut, Illawortina Gorge, Arkaroola & do the short trips from there. See Bolla Bollana Smelter.

I suggest, if coming from Yunta, to go up the east side, nick into Chambers Gorge(partly on Shanks' pony) & past Lake Frome to Balconoona, then head south down the western side.
Have a good time.
Rick.
AnswerID: 6800

Reply By: royce - Friday, Sep 20, 2002 at 00:00

It's years since I've been there! All the above has decided me..... I'm going back in '03!
AnswerID: 6802

Sponsored Links