Electric Winches & Wire Rope

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:54
ThreadID: 20135 Views:2859 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Guys

Just been playing with my winch and getting some hands on before our next trip (Simspon Desert May/June 05).

Does anyone have any good ideas for how to rewind the wire rope so it sits evenly on the drum. I have nearly got it right but a couple of turns have fallen between spaces on the layers beneath. I know I have to get them even, but the question is how?

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 12:12

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 12:12
Paul

I usually get two people to do the job right.

The first one stands way out, and after spooling it our nearly to the end (leave a few turns on the drum!!), they hold on to the hook and pull back with all they're worth to keep good tension on the line.

The second person stands at the winch and handles the coltroller, and (with gloves on) uses a D-shackle placed over the cable as a guide (rather than letting it slip through their gloves and picking up ugly splinters) guides the cable so that it winds onto the drum in a continuous manner, with each wind being as closely packed to the one prior as they work across the drum surface. When you get to the end of the drum on the first layer, simply reverse direction and do the same in the other direction... repeat until fully wound on.

Make sure that good tension is kept at all times, and sometimes I attach the hook to something heavy, but movable instead of the guy holding on to the end. You need to keep this tension up because you want to wind on layers without any slack - which will allow the cable to crunch through to the layers below when you are winching - killing the cable just a little more each time you use it.
AnswerID: 96784

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 12:13

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 12:13
Oh, and I usually take the opportunity to spray lubricant onto the cable and clean it with a rag as I've got it spooled out and before it's wound back on.
FollowupID: 355451

Reply By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 16:18

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 16:18
Hey PT,

For my way of doing things you need two drivers and two cars.

Spool out your cable, have another car facing your car at the end of the cable, hook the cable to this vehicle and have that driver apply slight brake pressure as you wind the winch cable in dragging his car to yours.

The car at the hook end should face you as it is easier to signal etc. and don't forget to apply the same rules as using an air brake on the cable and keeping everyone clear at least the lenght of the cable at all times. This ensures good tension as well giving the winch a run under some good load.

Wear gloves and use what ever method you are comfortable with when guiding the rope on the drum such as the D shackle mentioned above.

Regards,

Stuart M
AnswerID: 96807

Reply By: Skinnydog - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 17:21

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 17:21
if i remember correctly my winch instructions say to preload wire onto drum so that wire does not bind on itself. for solo preload anchor onto tree and apply slight handbrake load & you could guide it yourself while controlling winch
AnswerID: 96821

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 21:04

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 21:04
shopping centre carparks on Sundays are real convenient for making the job easy
FollowupID: 355496

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 17:30

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 17:30
You need about 100kg preload, very little really. Why not find a very slight incline and winch your vehicle uphill while guiding cable with a shackle. The load is insignificant when compared to cable capacity, so safe as houses.

Cheers
AnswerID: 96824

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:40

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:40
used to do it on a weekly basis for work got it sorted eventually
1) drive up to pole and atach winch to tree protector and put winch in free spool
2) reverse back straight v slowly in case cable binds
3) wack handbrake on tight or at least 3/4 none of this just a bit stuff-doesnt work
4) wind cable up 30 seconds winding 30 sec cool down etc etc
AnswerID: 96854

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 23:00

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 23:00
Paul.
I have to do this many times a day when on the tow truck. I just drop one of the ramps on the cable and then stand on it and ride it like a surf board, it amusses the local kids. Eric
AnswerID: 96879

Sponsored Links