MEMBER'S of club's

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:13
ThreadID: 20148 Views:2206 Replies:17 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
How many people that get on here are member's of club's or have been at one time or another ,was it worth or while or not . Im just wounding weather to join a club here in Adelaide or not as a customer came in to the shop that my wife work's at and said about this club and we should have a look at what they do.So tell me what are your prefferences club or no club. cheer's GREENDOG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:32

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:32
I'm looking at joining a club, got it narrowed down to a choice of three at the moment and will probably join two of them. I've been out with guys from two of them and they are a good bunch of people, very helpful and the training provided and trip look good.
One is The Breakaways, got a couple of mates in it, the other is Yorke Peninsula, which is a bit far away but I know lots of people (EO forumites) who are members.
AnswerID: 96834

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 08:55

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 08:55
Gday Pat,

Our little club (Yorke Peninsula) is very friendly (especially if you've got a Patrol...hahaha).

We have a couple of EO members from Adelaide who are members (Muddy Doe and Brew 69). As well there are Pesty, Gerk, Td5/V8, Seashells.

I was one of those who thought "clubbies" were a bit up themselves, but it all depends on what club you join. We have a good time, don't take life too seriously (but we do practice all the right drive-safely and tread-lightly techniques etc etc).

I am aware that with some of the big-name clubs you'll find it difficult to get onto a trip and their numbers are so vast that you'll have Buckley's chance of ever knowing all the members' names etc.

I can recommend joining a club, but shop around first and don't be put off if the 1st couple you visit don't impress you.

Cya bloke
FollowupID: 355531

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:46

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:46
Some clubs are GREAT..

Some Clubs are absolute CHIT, and all tangled in webs of power, arguing, live by the book 1000%, constitutions and bollox, and just down right crap!

Ive been in the Nissan club in NSW and in Vic, both are very good. The Vic version is more older people than the NSW one. Both run numerous trips of vairying lengths, one even takes a Yota out to roll on trips too.. (sorry TO couldnt help it)..

Go to as many meetings, events, and maybe even a few trips with clubs before deciding to join, you will really get a good feel for them.

Some clubs wont allow you on trips until your a full member though :(

IMHO Clubs rock.
AnswerID: 96836

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 19:32

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 19:32
ditto
FollowupID: 355485

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:50

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:50
I've been a member of three car clubs - two of them 4WD.

I was president of one 4WD club and am now webmaster for the Sydney Jeep Club and on the committee.

I was Branch Chairman of the Saab Car Club of Australia and National Vice President and on the board.

I've really enjoyed being with like-minded people and am very active on the touring and event fronts. It's fantastic to share opinions and ideas - and there are many other similar attractions for me being with a club.

One thing that peeves me off are people that join a club purely to get a discount at a camping store of accessory outlet - not to mention insurance.

Join for the right reasons (first) and the others are cream.

I'd reccomment it... but that's me. :)
AnswerID: 96837

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 09:35

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 09:35
Chrispy . Does the Sydney Jeep club allow other 4wdrives , or is it Jeep only, like most Melbourne Jeep clubs ?
FollowupID: 355534

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 10:13

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 10:13
Hi Eric

Yeah - like the other clubs down there inMelbourne, the SJC is open only to Jeep owners.

It's a point of contention amongst a few members, but the rule is enforced by popular majority every time a referendum is run.

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 355535

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:20

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:20
I think Jeep is the only club that dosn't allow other makes of vehicle . Very interesting , I wonder why ? lol

Ps , just been cheeky
FollowupID: 355541

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:57

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:57
Eric

One of the main reasons that I left the other 4WD club is just that - constant crap over who's 4WD brand is best. Even though these arguments were always "masked" in "good" humour - it was very obvious that people got upset if someone else's "inferior" truck did better than theirs up a rock face, or in a competition.... it just got to be a pain and added to the political dynamics of the club by splitting it up into little snivelling groups...

At least with the SJC, everyone is just there because we love Jeeps - no matter what model. It works very well, and there are literally no silly club politics to have to bear.
FollowupID: 355554

Reply By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 19:33

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 19:33
I would have thought: either you're a club type 4WD/bush type person or you're not.

I'm not. I would hate the idea of doing many of my trips into the bush with others, much of the reason I go there is to get away from other people.

Having said that: in a month I shall be heading bush with a few guys I know. We do this once a year or less - they are good trips but there is no leader, there is no "training", there is no formality - just a few mates spending a little time together and it's good - but I don't want to do it too often.

YMMV – there is no right or wrong here.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 96842

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 19:43

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 19:43
I'm in the Toyota Landcrusier Club (Vic) and love it.
700 members and so far all I have traveled or mixed with have been bloody great people.
All age groups and all mix well.

I also go with a few mate's from this Forum and also by myself.
It's all different and it all works for me based on whats happening at the time.
I have done a number of great trips with TLC in the last year and had a ball.
Got a heap set up for the next few months also.

You don't have to do all the club stuff all the time that's up to you, a lot of guys in our club travel together on there own non club sanctioned trips.

I alway have been of the belief that with clubs "You only get out of them what you put in", If you partake in the activities that the club offers then I'm sure you will get a lot out of it.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 96843

Reply By: Richard - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:22

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:22
I'm in a club
AnswerID: 96852

Reply By: Squizzy - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:24

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:24
Regardless of what is said on this forum, you will have to make up your own mind.

My opinion is that by being a member of a club gives you very cheap training, excellent companionship with people who are doing the same things that you enjoy, idea sharing when on trips, security when in remote areas, access to some areas others can't get, etc, etc.

I hope the info shared by the forum helps you to come to a positive decision.

Geoff.

AnswerID: 96853

Reply By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 21:16

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 21:16
I am a memeber of the Townsville and District 4WD Club, and I don't mind saying so here. I have to say that I would join a club again no questions asked. Great people, great times, access to fantastic tracks. Yes politics can be a problem in clubs, but hey so can it be in a family. My wife and I travel alone quite a bit, but we definitely enjoy club trips.

You have to accept that people are different, let them be!!! Accept everyone as they are, it isn't such a big deal that not everyone sees the world as you do.

Can't fault club life..I'd do it again
AnswerID: 96864

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 21:46

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 21:46
Hi Peter
We are members of the Wagga 4wd Club and they are brilliant. We were a bit iffy at 1st, you know what some clubs can be like. But they made us feel so welcome and we have been on some great trips that you would never go on if you were on your own. I like the saftey in numbers business when you are out 4wding and its good to know that the leaders are experienced at 4wd and know what and not what to do. Our club often holds activity days and training days for the not so expeienced, and that is very helpful. Also like this forum you get some damn good ideas on different things for your 4wd and camping gear. Go along and sit in on a couple of meeting and you will soon know what the club is like. Anything like our club and you will not be dissapointed.
Karen
AnswerID: 96867

Reply By: Des Lexic - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:27

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:27
Peter, I'm a member of the Riverland 4WD Club and I agree with all the positive comments above. Friendly people with like minded interests, better access to their knowledge, fun and a sense of belonging.
We don't have political differences or cliches within the club and we all enjoy what we love doing best.
AnswerID: 96873

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:36

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:36
Big clubs IMHO have heaps of rules, are very political & as numbers on the good trips are limited they are often booked out before they're printed in the newsletter. All the trips will have lots of cars so expect the delays that come with large convoys. On the plus side many big clubs have their own properties & with the wealth of knowlege in the group are great for training. They often tackle many of the big remote area trips or have sections that specialize in winch challenges or the like.
Clubs with under 50 members are more personel & allow you to know everyone. They have smaller trip convoys which you can often book into the week before.
The other option is to go on reader weekends with groups like Ex Oz, Westprint or LCOOL (landcruiser owners online). They have few if any rules & are are great social outings.
I'd recommend joining a group & suggest you ring up the club secretary's and ask what type of driving they do then read their newsletters to see if that club match's what you'd like to do with your 4x4.
The friendships & experiences will last a life time.
Cheers Craig.............
www.lcool.org
AnswerID: 96876

Reply By: dougie diesel - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 23:57

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 23:57
Peter,
We've been travelling for 2 years and are heading back to Tas to settle. Can't wait to catch up with the old club again. It's good to do your own touring but is also great to do some trips with others. All the positive comments so far apply for me too. Give it a try.
Cheers
Dougie
AnswerID: 96889

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 08:36

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 08:36
Hi Greendog, well I am not in a 4WD club. The closest being 30 mins drive away. The major reason has been touched on above, you get out of a club what you put in. Being as I travel around a lot for work and am away from home on ad-hoc soirees I couldnt commit to being at meetings all the time, nor to club events.

That is one benefit I have found from ExplorOz, we have gatherings here, trips, meeting together at events such as 4WD shows, and if I can get along I do, and if I cant well I don't feel that I am not contributing, as we all can here on this site.

That said, if I were closer and more settled I would be in a club, as said above there are pro's and cons, one major one is the insurance side of things as well as the access to areas closed off to non-club members. The latter one irks me as it implies that non-club members are irresponsible environment wreckers. I accept that club membership can help sort that out sadly.

Training is cheaper thru clubs too but I have undertaken training as well as what I have learnt myself from experienced 4WD'ers and from doing myself.

You make friends however you tackle this, I hjave made some great friends here and have value their friednship, advice, counsel and tisspaking enormously.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 96898

Reply By: Moose - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 14:21

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 14:21
Peter
Have been in TLCC (Qld) for many years. Can highly recommend joining a club. Someone reckoned that you should look for one with less than 50 members - can't agree with that. Ours has many more than 50 and we have no problem getting onto trips. The bigger the more varied the trips are likely to be because there's only ever a certain small minority that actually runs trips. Go along to a meeting or two before committing yourself - that will give you an idea of how they operate, how friendly they are, how many trips they run etc.
AnswerID: 97097

Reply By: Dean (SA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 15:14

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 15:14
Peter,

Ive thought about the same as well. Have been to 3 clubs and were all different. One didnt encourage families, all couples with grown up kids, at least they were honest and seemed like decent folks.
The next were a big club, once again they were nice enough but didnt offer the kind off trips I was after.
The third were just a pack of loonies, no interest in helping newies, more interested in selling merchandise, they did have good trips though, pity.
Ill keep sniffing around.
Dean
AnswerID: 97101

Follow Up By: peter in sa - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:23

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:23
Dean i'd be interested to hear what club's you visited so i do'nt waste my time looking at them maybe we could hook up same time CHEER'S GREENDOG
FollowupID: 355940

Follow Up By: Dean (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:09

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:09
No problems, I live in the Mitcham area. I reckon most clubs would have decent people, unfortunately first impressions are what you base your thoughts on.
Dean
FollowupID: 356038

Reply By: flappa - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 15:25

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 15:25
I think it just depends on the Club.

I was a member of the Local Jeep club , but not currently. great guys , just wasn't working for me. They were more into rock crawling day trips.

Thats OK , I'll look elsewhere. There are a few internet 4wd Clubs coming online.
AnswerID: 97103

Reply By: Paul from Adventure Camping and Off Road Trailers - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 17:37

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 17:37
Hi,
Try the Mount Lofty Rangers.
They meet every month on the second Monday so the next meeting is on the 14 of Feb at the Blackwood Football Club Rooms 7.30 Pm
Great bunch of people.
AnswerID: 97682

Sponsored Links