rack for hilux?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:29
ThreadID: 20174 Views:2072 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
chassis-mounted roof racks for hilux? Anyone know if anybody is still making these? Or maybe someone knows of a second hand set in someone's shed? Maybe a tradesman?

It's for a 89 dual cab hilux with lowline canopy. I'm 2hrs wet of Sydney so would travel to Sydney/Bathurst/Orange etc.

I'm after the type with the solid tubing that runs up the side of the vehicle to support the rack (ie: no reliance on the roof of the cab). I've got a roof-mounted type but even with a light load on bad roads it's damaged the roof. my panel beater reckons the roof just won't handle a combination of corrugations and anything more than a very light load.

Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Spook (SA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:34

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:34
G'day Luke2

I've just gone thru this exact predicament... You can buy the racks that go up thru the canopy taking the weight off the canopy and mounting directly to the tray. I beleive the Flexiglass ones are about the $450 mark but they don't look that heavy duty. Rhino make some really nice ones you could try Blueys Ute World for those.

But I couldn't see the point in paying all that money for something I could get made up for less that half the price. I got my Bro-in-law to make up an internal frame out of 40mm sqaure tubing you can buy the sealing boots for about $10 ea, if you post up your email addy I will send you some pics tonight of you like.

Cheers
Brad
AnswerID: 97058

Follow Up By: Luke2 - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 12:17

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 12:17
thanks Brad - i've been thinking about that option as an alternative and at least i can knock it up with the old stick welder! agree re the commercial inside-the-canopy racks - they don't seem very solid. thanks for the offer to see your pics - that'd be great - lucas.trihey@emap.com.au
particularly keen to see what you did at the bottom at the front of the tray? i've been debating whether to just put some feet to spread the load or to go thru to the chassis. The advantage of bolting to the chassis is that i can probably cantilever the rack out over the cab a bit which would help shift a bit of the weight of the back wheels. I might even look at mounting a couple of posts up off the bullbar and running the rack right thru - although it's quite a span on a dual cab (from the tray to the bullbar) so I'll think more about that. did you just have the racks over the canopy? Thanks again for the advice! Cheers.
FollowupID: 355703

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 12:46

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 12:46
Luke,

The problem with a roof rack that is mounted on the cabin and the tray or bullbar is the movement between the three places.
Chassis mounted bullbar and rubber mounted tray at the other end ot the chassis, they do move quite a bit.

Next time you are in Orange, see Roy at TJM, 37 Paisley st, 02 6361 7999.

Wayne
AnswerID: 97082

Sponsored Links