PDA's and GPS's

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 13:36
ThreadID: 20178 Views:2178 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi ,
I am thinking of purchasing a PDA, possibly ipaq. Some questions arise. Can this type of device be used with a mouse GPS to have a map readout, with mapping software? Model sugestions for PDA's? I have a Garmin 276C but am a gadget man ! ! Can they be used to upload MP3's to for playback via a converter to the car stereo? Is anyone using this setup ?

GeeTee
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davo - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 14:08

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 14:08
Geetee,
I've got an iPaq HX4700. I love it.
The key thing for me was that it has bluetooth; the thinking being that eventually I'll get a bluetooth gps antenna for it.
I've put in a 1GB SD Card, they're so small and holding so much data/mp3/whatever is great.
I haven't yet purchased a copy of the software to run on it, but battery life, etc to date is great [work-use only].
You'd obviously need to price in a 12V adaptor; not too expensive; plus a decent cradle.
The screen on the iPaqs is great. I'd go to somewhere like Harvey Norman's, or megamart and lok at each model to compare the screens, and then do some web-research on each different brand.
The iPaq hx4700 has the 4" screen which as mentioned before is excellent; ad you can download an app which converts it to true SVGA (text is tiny though)
Personally, i'd be sticking to your 276C unit. Having the voice navigation software loaded onto th iPaq would be interesting to see/hear though..
I don't think the 276C offers this functionality; but do you need it?

Hope this post hasn't confused you too much LOL. I too am a gadget-man, I love 'em. Once you've got a CF GPS antenna, or a bluetooth unit, plus the software, setting up the iPaq isn't a cheap option..

Cheers,
Davo
AnswerID: 96941

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:01

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:01
Hello - I use HP Ipaq 2210 with Compact Flash GPS + OziExplorer CE. You can use a variety of GPS units from handhelds to bluetooth for PDA's. The setup you go for will depend on a few things like available slots on the PDA you get. You will need one card slot for maps as they require a lot of memory and PDA's normally dont have that much to spare. You may be able to connect your current GPS direct to PDA ..though I am not familar with a Garmin 276C..see here

PDA Cables

I also have a belkin gadget that pugs into PDA and sends music out via car stereo (you tune into an unused FM station).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 96973

Reply By: Member - David 0- Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:27

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:27
I have an Ipaq 5450 connected to eTrex, running OziExplorer. No experience with the music but the Ipaq is great. PS I still use paper maps for the "BIG picture"
AnswerID: 96977

Sponsored Links