Darling River

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 21, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2019 Views:1404 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone canoed down the Darling between Louth and tilpa - how long did it take, your comments and tips would be appreciated. Also, has anyone walked between Louth and Tilp either side of the river. I am planning an adventure next year - anyone with comments
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew O - Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00
David,
I drove from Louth to Tilpa in July. The locals told me the river was now a stretch of waterholes ... hopefully it will rain before your adventure.
Cheers Andrew O
AnswerID: 6836

Reply By: LARRY - Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00
Hello David the darling is a real mess at the moment very little water . So better start praying for rain the whole country would like nothin better than some good rain to break the drought. I have not canoed that section of river but its only 90 road km by river say 110 km its up to you how hard you paddle most go to fast . you should do 30 to 50 kms a day very easy depending on the water.The river banks are high so stop and have a look around, dont overload and take you time .all the best.
AnswerID: 6841

Reply By: andy - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
I live in Cobar, which is about 137 km from Louth. I was in Louth for the races in August. There was plenty of water in the river. We took the Tinny and had some grear fishing. Just had to be careful about submerged rocks/snags. (Broke the shear pin twice). Same weekend we travelled down to Tilpa and camped at the weir. Even more water, plent for a canoe. However, downstream it dries up. We have had some good rain since then so you may as well give it ago. You dont know until you try.
Good Luck
AnswerID: 6906

Sponsored Links