Brake Controllers

Submitted: Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 23:16
ThreadID: 20227 Views:1841 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have heard about lots of discussion on this forum about Tekonsha Voyager brake controllers. I am wondering if any wise ones out there can recommend what I should do. I have a LC100TD with one of these fitted and it has started doing weird things - especially when the car been sitting in the heat or parked at an angle. The brake lightsjust go on for no reason. Sometimes they go off - but last night I had to cut the wire to the loom so that the batteries don't go flat. I have previously noticed that the cruise control turns itself off along the highway when not towing, and there is a relay in the unit which just seems to be clicking away all of the time. In fact I would go as far as saying that the thing stinks. Has been fine for towing up to just recently. Is this a warranty call - the unit is about 8 months old.
Love to hear of anyones experiences and recommendations.

Anoldbuddy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 23:26

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 23:26
That is exactly the problem - it puts a feedback voltage onto the break sensor connection. As this is the same wire that applies the voltage to the break lights, they will come on at random. hence also the cruise control gets tripped out as if you had applied the breakpedal.

Tekonsha are fully aware of this problem and from what I have heard, it is not unreasonable to have the faulty Voyager replaced with the Prodigy unit.

Bob

PS Have heard of no problems at all with the Prodigy.
AnswerID: 97180

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 23:27

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 23:27
Not familiar with the unit ......... but certainly sounds like a warranty issue to me.

Cheers

AnswerID: 97182

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 23:44

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 23:44
Anoldbuddy,

The problems you describe re brake lights mysteriously coming on is something we experienced with our GU after we had a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller fitted. Must say it never occurred to us that the unit was the problem. We assumed there must have been a problem with the installation. Our auto sparky did a thorough inspection in our presence but nothing turned up and funnily enough the problem just seems to have gone away. Haven't had any problems with the cruise control but I have noticed a strange clicking sound, usually on my way home from work after the car has been roasting in the sun for hours. Migh have to give Tekonshna a call.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 97183

Reply By: DaveNJude - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 07:54

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 07:54
We bought a Tekonsha Voyager with our new van just over two years ago. Worked fine for 18 months then started to play up flashing brake lights etc. When the Prodigy came out on special at Repco I went and bought one, very happy with it too.
After reading on the msn caravan forum about the problems with the Voyager, I emailed them in the USA and had a whinge. They promptly replied to return it to my nearest agent for exchange. Well, this is where it gets good. My nearest agent does not stock the Voyager because in their words it is a piece of .... so they rang the main dealer in Sydney for a decision.
The decision was to give me a brand new Progigy in exchange!!!! So now I have a spare.
Good on you Tekonsha and your Aussie agents.

Dave & Jude
AnswerID: 97193

Follow Up By: anoldbuddy - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 07:59

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 07:59
Thanks everyone,

Today I will take on the supplier and see where it leads - hopefully they are aware of these issues.

Anoldbuddy
FollowupID: 355798

Reply By: Paul - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 10:01

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 10:01
Hi,

I have the Sentinel (its either one up or one down fronm the Voyager)

I have noticed the leds on mine doing weird flashing when going over bumps and I am forever adjusting it to compensate for the driving conditons?

And yes, I have to recalibrate it every time I hook the trailer up, and notice the calibration is different depending on the temperature in the car?

Paul
AnswerID: 97205

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:54

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:54
I have the Prodigy on the LC100TD no problems at all.

Sound like a warranty claim to me too although my first thought was faulty wiring but it seems you have eliminated that.

Gaz
AnswerID: 97230

Sponsored Links