travelling to cape york.

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 22, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2025 Views:2151 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
gday all, i'm travelling to cape york this week and would like some updates on the fish caught and the road conditions at this time.are there any barra around this time of year, where are the best spots. will there still be a few people around, i know the build up will start soon but hopefully ill be ok. any other relevant info would be appreciated.
thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00
Take some gumboots and a shovel !!!! he heh

good luck
John
AnswerID: 6843

Reply By: Craig - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
Ben ,we just returned 3 wks ago ,there is good fishing at Weipa and Seisa , But take some heavy line we made the mistake of taking light gear ( Price of a plastic hand line will set you back 22+ bucks at Bamaga )
The road to From Morton station to Weipa is good 80-100Kph ,the short cut from Weipa across ( heading east )is a rough one but saves you time The bypass roads are a shocker If I had to go again I would do the telegragh track both ways.
The road from bamaga to punsand bay is reasonable.
However I still had to replace all My shocks once home ( all were under 12month old )
Enjoy your trip Rgds Craig
AnswerID: 6929

Follow Up By: Ben - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
THANKS A LOT CRAIG.
FollowupID: 3121

Reply By: Beddo - Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00
Just got back last night - as mentioned earlier by another response stick to the OTL - the bypasses are crap all corragated. We were getting a lot of Salmon at Punsand Bay. The graders were working a lot when we were there - north of Archer River and also just north of the Jardine. The OTL was slow but more enjoyable than the corragated bypasses - creek crossing had the option of the easy and hard ways. Deepest crossing we found was Nowllands Brook just north of Twin Falls which was waist deep with firm sand bottom. Should be still a few people running around - we saw plenty, Cheers Beddo
If you go to Chilli Bch (Iron Range NP) - do not do it if the wind is blowing a gale (nice spot though) - the Frenchmans track we found to be similiar to the OTL - it was very interesting- it only had one crossing that was a bit of a challenge which was the Pascoe River - some rocks and depth varys to waist deep. Cheers Beddo
AnswerID: 7024

Sponsored Links