Radios and external speakers

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:51
ThreadID: 20263 Views:2566 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Well now that we have the HF radio sitting at home on the kitchen bench, thoughts have turned to the installation process. The remote head unit will go into the roof console which already houses a UHF and 27 meg radio and an external speaker to which both radios are connected. The HF came with a GME external speaker the same as our existing one. What I'm now wondering is this...is there any reason we couldn't also connect the HF to the existing speaker or should we install a separate speaker. Obviously we would have the other radio's off when transmitting and receiving...

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum and Dragon (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 00:14

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 00:14
Hi Melissa,

So you have done the deed and got the HF - What did you get? I will be interested in how it performs as I'm still looking. Cant help re the installation - hopeless with stuff likr that.

Regards

John
AnswerID: 97371

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 00:28

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 00:28
Hi John,

Yep, got a Barrett 550 with selcall, fully programmed with VS737, RFDS and other frequencies, multi-tap whip antenna, spring base, users manual for $800. Ex-exploration but in excellent condition. If you're interested, the guy had a 2nd identical set-up for $700 but it needs to be re-programmed (Terlin charge $125). I can give you his contact details if you want.

FollowupID: 355969

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:08

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:08
Hi John
I would check around as I had to have the Barrett reprogrammed and it took all of 10 munites as they just connect the computer to it and if you are only loading up VKS RFDS they will have all of that already set up on the computer and they just load it into the radio
Ray
FollowupID: 355994

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 23:47

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 23:47
I think you will find if you go to Barrett in Spearwood (that's where they make them),they will program the set for a lot less than Terlin. I've had my 550 reprogrammed twice (the last one in 2003) for next to nothing as part of their service since I purchased my unit from them direct, & that was quite a few years ago. As Raymond said it only takes a couple of minutes depending on what you want. Cheers.
FollowupID: 356137

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 07:31

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 07:31
DO NOT directly connect more than one radio to one speaker - even if one of the radios is turned off.

It _may_ work with a particular radio(s) but even when one of the radios is off it's audio output stages are still "seeing" the voltage/current from the radio which is turned on and they may place an electrical load across the working radio in such a way that one or both of the radios will suffer damage.

If you want do this do it via a 2 pole 3 way switch (Dick Smith / Jaycar should sell them) and use that to switch each radio independently to a single speaker. If you don't understand; ask and I'll do a diagram.

Have fun with your new set :)

Mike Harding

mike_harding@fastmail.fm
AnswerID: 97384

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:55

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:55
Thanks for the advice Mike. I guess we'll install the extra speaker. Having to manually switch between the radios would kinda defeat the purposes of scanning or we run the risk of missing a direct transmission or sellcall. Damn, we were hoping to take the easy way out ;-)

FollowupID: 356028

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:05

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:05
Hi Melissa
I would put in a seperate speaker for the Barrett, we often have the Barrett running on selcall mute during the day if we are on the road and so need the speaker to work.
Regards Ray
AnswerID: 97389

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:14

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:14
Melissa - welcome to the world of HF ! Re the speakers..... I'm no techo (Mike must be) but I've never connected a speaker to multiple devices. Also, you will have occasion with incoming traffic where you just might have more than one unit on at a time. My GME UHF has inbuilt of course, the 27 Meg HF speaker (Uniden PC122XL) is under the dash (works very well) and the Barrett 950 is in a foam box on the end of the lead, that is placed here and there according to need. This Barrett speaker is usually on the dash in the corner while mobile, but can be put out on the roof or bonnett when cooking dinner by the campfire etc - that way we can monitor sked traffic. BTW... re the 27 meg speaker ... its under the drivers side dash pointing at the floor - while mobile, you would swear that the sound is coming straight at you from the windscreen - odd, but great ! Pics at homepages.picknowl.com.au/darian
AnswerID: 97391

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:20

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:20
Run your extra speaker. Then you can have BOTH radios on at the same time.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 97392

Reply By: joc45 - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:30

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:30
To be safe, use separate speakers.
IF the 2-ways each use an earth for one speaker lead, then the speakers can be shared, but then only with a resistor in each active lead from the radio (about 3-5 ohms). If the 2-way uses an audio amplifier with a bridged output, where both legs of the output are above earth, then you could do damage by sharing the speaker.
Small 2-way speakers are cheap, and can be hidden under the dash. The tinnier the speaker, the clearer it sounds on a 2-way; you don't want a speaker with any bass.
Gerry
AnswerID: 97428

Sponsored Links