Surf 1kz-TE engine

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:51
ThreadID: 20271 Views:6445 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Mate's looking at a 97 used import but our mechanic reckon he has seen 2 which has been overheated and the engine (piston sleeves) is very worn (rather weak engine).
My thoughts were if the diesel is that weak then all the Prados will have simillar problems wouldn't they? Maybe these imports have the speedos wound back and not reflect true age...?
Could the 1KZ-TE owners pls shed some light here & give us some guidence. (My mate really like the Surf...but is unsure what to do)

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:12

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:12
There is nothing "wrong" with the surf's with 1kz-te motors. I have one. Albiet not the intercooled version you are talking about. (which in theory would leave me in more trouble if there were any problems).
The motor is the same as the prado yes. It does have however a smaller radiator. This has the advatage of giveing you more room for dual batteries etc but also means that if you don't look after the cooling system you will damage your engine in hot weather under extreme driving conditions (sand driving, towing, long steep hills etc).

Because (like 99% of new cars) the 1kz-te has an alloy head there are two things to be careful off.
1. ALWAYS use TOYOTA GENUINE LLC Coolant.
2. NEVER let the engine overheat or even get "up there" on the temp guage.

If the motor get's too hot you WILL crack the head. Most imports have been sitting around doing short runs being poorly maintined. First thing to do is get the radiator pulled out, flushed/recored, flush the engine block, put new silicone in the clutch fan and put it all back together. You will not have any problems then.

Great engines, very smooth, very reliable.
AnswerID: 97440

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:03

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:03
I agree with Jeff(WA) the radiator is smaller than the Prado - you can I believe get a larger cored radiator fitted aswell. My experience with my KZN185 going up to Darwin was that with the aircon on and sitting on 120Km you could do that all day though if you start to get to 130Km the temp would just get over halfway and the aircon would not work as efficiently. You can also check when timing belts were changed by the servcing - I know has the Km on the receipt from Japan and when the vehicle hit 100 000 on the clock the timing belt came on - if it has been wound back or so this will be out - there are a few Surfs that this has occurred to, Flushing and rodding out the radiator is a wise move especially if a long trip is planned. We have a Prado at work and it gets a plenty hard time and the motor has no worries, the Prado being a little lower than the Surf's do mean that the Prado's under carriage cops it a bit.
AnswerID: 97546

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)