Camper Trailer Care

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:17
ThreadID: 20273 Views:3270 Replies:15 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi...this is my first post....so be kind!
I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on the care of my camper trailer. I only recently purchased it and wondering about storage at home.
Is it something that I should keep undercover all the time or not? Should I air it occasionally? Any other tips?

Thanks

Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nobby - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:34

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:34
We are always kind in this forum.
I own a trailer and always keep it under cover ( A tarp/ Car cover will do)
Get it rust proofed. I did mine with Lanotec Spray. I brought it in a 5litre drum and use a manual spray.
Make sure that you check/ recharge the batteries every month. I do mine on the first weekend of every month.This is usually a good time to air the Canvas also.
Drain the water out of the tank after each trip.
Apart from that just use the bloody thing and don't let it sit there for months on end.
AnswerID: 97430

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:35

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:35
Undercover is a good idea. Can be something as simple as a Cheapo Carport/Gazebo from Supercheap. Anything to keep the direct sun, rain , and hail off it.

Air it out , Yep , good idea also. I try to put mine up every couple of months for a few days (I dont get to use it much : ( ), especially as you probably wont do it over winter , unless getting used.

The general advice seems to be to empty water tanks (if you have them).
AnswerID: 97431

Reply By: Vince NSW - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:45

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:45
I agree with the others. I have found that if you use an el cheepo solar charger it keeps the battries topped up. I got mine from Dick Smith on special for $29.95.
Try to cover it as the temp build up inside the folded camper has warped a few plastic fittings on my reading lights.
Hope this helps. Enjoy the camper
Vince
AnswerID: 97434

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:29

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:29
What brand / type is it ? - makes a difference to incoming advice from forumites ! (we are quite discerning, while gentle :-)
AnswerID: 97444

Follow Up By: PaulK - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:01

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:01
Bought it secondhand for $2500.00. It is in great condition...made by Cameron Canvas in Adelaide. Nothing special as far as extras.....yet!!!
FollowupID: 356140

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:35

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:35
Nah! I'm going to differ in opinion.

My Camper Trailer has an "all weather" heavy duty PVC cover which zips over the top. At worst, the sun may deteriorate the cover over a period of time.
Solution:- Buy a new cover.
Got to be cheaper than a garage/carport, (or should that be camperport) unless you already have one:-)

And if the paintwork fades over time, so what. More damage is caused by normal wear & tear from scratches and stone chipping, etc.

I Agree with the occasional airing and water tank drainage though.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 97447

Follow Up By: flappa - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:38

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:38
Quote: Got to be cheaper than a garage/carport, (or should that be camperport) unless you already have one:-)

$45 from supercheap.
FollowupID: 356042

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:48

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:48
Yep! Bet it's a beauty......(unitl the first strong breeze comes along)
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 97452

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 14:54

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 14:54
Biggest problem I notice with trailers is the ones on the side of the road with wheel bearing failure which really would ruin ones day. So I check the bearings occaisionally especially after a dip in a muddy creek or a prolonged stay without use.
Checking your lights is also a goodie before you take it out. Takes two people seconds but helps prevent fines and accidents. Electrical contacts in trailers often get corroded especially if the rig is kept on the back lawn.
Enjoy!
Camper
AnswerID: 97466

Reply By: beatit - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 15:20

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 15:20
When looking at the camper say monthly its also a good idea to do some personalisation. You will be amazed what can be added to your camper if you look at it long enough. And it is a great motivator (in case you don't have enough already) to take it out and use it - after all you've got to try the mods to see if they work.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 97475

Follow Up By: PaulK - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:04

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:04
Plenty of changes are coming. I'm planning a set of drawers, with kitchen, side rails for fuel and gas bottle, water tank, suspension upgrade and more. Figured I bought it at a good price (see above) and so I can spend some money on it.

The wheel bearings were replaced just before we bought it and it also has new tyres.
FollowupID: 356141

Follow Up By: beatit - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:20

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:20
Going through that right now myself for a 3 month trip in July. Just added a tow bar (a complete frame back to the "A"frame) for rear recoveries. Shifted the water tank and about to add another to give me 140 litres. The shifting is to redistribute the weight better. Also just completed a power box (converted the tool box on the front) to house my honda genie, 15 amp 240 input, changeover switch and 3 stage charger. Just about to add 2 more jerry can holders and reposition my shocks.

Have on the drawing board a new kitchen and in trailer storage. Hope to give it all a trial run to Frazer at Easter.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 356179

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 15:58

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 15:58
We just bought our first camper trailer... ours is a Cavalier. Our "maintenance" plan is as follows:

Step 1) Take it out and use it at least once every two months

Step 2) Clean it when we get home.

I do agree about keeping under cover.... we have a tarp over it till our garage gets built in the back yard.

Also agree about draining the water tank/s, and keep an eye on the wheel bearings... they get forgotten about on almost every trailer!

Most importantly..... Enjoy your camping trips!!!!!!
:-)
AnswerID: 97481

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 17:45

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 17:45
It always amazes me that we go on & on about trailer wheel bearings, yet we never worry the ones in our vehicles that do thousands & thousands of kilometers!

I really think the wheel bearings that are most at risk, are on trailers/caravans that rarely get used.
River crossings are a bit of a worry though, because the hub is hot & any air in it will contract & draw water in past the seal. Trailers that do river crossings will benefit greatly from 'bearing buddies'.
AnswerID: 97501

Reply By: Bros - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 18:25

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 18:25
PaulK,
Don't use detergent on your canvas, just water if you want to wash dust off.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 97511

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:07

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:07
I agree with the cover idea. I would prefer to have it under cover, but not possible.
I got a cover from Trakshak, when I bought it.

Just make sure any cover or tarp you put over it is tied down tightly, and not blown around too much in the wind. They can sand the paint right back to the steel before you know it if you aren't carefull.
AnswerID: 97563

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 23:30

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 23:30
Do your wheel bearings EVERY second christmas, regardless of miles done.
AnswerID: 97579

Reply By: Michael O'Reilly - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 06:58

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 06:58
We have a 17 year old Campomatic so no fancy stuff like water tanks, but these things are great if you look after them after each trip...
Clean out the fridge with that Vanilla spray each time and jam something in the lid so the air can circulate.
Brush off the canvas (that guano can really make a mess!)
Wash the stove down with Jif.
Sweep out the floor inside.
Car cover over and voila. Ready for next time.
Bearings every second year.
Check lights every day during trip and carry spare globes.

And cover the thing in vinyl stickers of where you've been. It's a great conversation starter...
AnswerID: 97596

Reply By: sandyngraham - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 19:41

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 19:41
Hope your camper gives you heaps of enjoyment and satisfaction. Sandy and I sold ours today, very sorry to see it go, but am looking forward to taking delivery of our new Trackabout Safari in a couple of weeks.

Apart from the advice offered previous, here's a couple of other tips ... if you do a lot of coastal camping pay special attention to your zips when cleaning your camper, salt air / spray plays havoc, also clean your screens, they too get a build up of salt and dust. I spray a little WD40 on a rag and wipe the zips, keeps em clean and lubricated.

Bird poo.... get rid of it quickly as the acid could tend to diminish the waterproofing capabilities of the canvass

AnswerID: 97712

Sponsored Links