4wd tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:46
ThreadID: 20274 Views:1702 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hello,
I just have a couple of questions.
I have read that you need a 4wd to get to the bungle bungles.How rough are the roads and would you need 4wd tyres on the vehicle.How about lawn park national park as well?Thanks
Jacqui
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 14:27

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 14:27
Jacqui,

Can't speak about Bungles , but the roads into Lawn Hill NP are as rough as guts. However, we did see a 2wd van in there; they'd blown a couple of tyres and had been travelling at or below 30k/h the whole way.

So to answer your question, those sorts of trips are *possible* in a 2wd or soft-roader, but you would have to take it very easy indeed. My suggestion would be to have a *proper* 4wd with good off-road tyres (eg : A/T or M/T type)......you do not want highway tyres on those sorts of roads.

In any case, pressures are a crucial part of the equation; you need to drop the pressures so the tyres are less likely to be punctured.
AnswerID: 97459

Reply By: Willykj - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 16:53

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 16:53
Hi Jacqui,

Yes - you certainly do need a 4WD to go into the Bungles & it would be adviseable to have at least AT tyres. From the Highway to the Rangers is approx 50km & can take 3 hours. It is fairly rough and lots of crossings.

It is some time since I went to Lawn Hill but when there went with a Commodore towing a 17ft pop top. No problems at all. The road of course would vary depending on the season but the majority is maintained for mining.

Willy.
AnswerID: 97489

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:16

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:16
went to the B B about 2 years ago wasnt to bad but definitly rough and slow but a soft roader should be ok 2wd are not allowed in and arnt issued tickets which tells me it is doable in a 2wd but not permitted. The track to the southern end of th BB within the park is even rougher
AnswerID: 97530

Sponsored Links