Volkswagon Transporter 4wd Dual-Cabs...

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 14:36
ThreadID: 20277 Views:5865 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

does anyone know anything about the dual-cab Volkswagen Transporters? I remember reading about them in the newspaper a while back, they were 4wd and about to be releaded with an updated turbo diesel that had good power/torque figures. There's not much on their website, am I chasing a ghost?

Thanks,

Mark.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pullsy - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 15:21

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 15:21
Mark,
They apparently are pretty good (from what I hear). Dad had a petrol camper Syncro (VW's name for 4wd). He liked it but was scared off by the complexity of the motor, it's rarity and the associated problems if something went wrong whilst in the middle of no-where. Yesterday I found this add for one, I pinched this from a VW forum but suppose they won't mind in the interest of selling a car. The link shows some pictures and gives extra info. Cheers,
Pullsy

For sale 1991 dual cab synchro.

1.8 litre turbo/intercooled audi/passat motor professionally fitted and complied. Approx 58,000 klm on motor.

Decoupler( 2wd/4wd), rebuilt main gear box, air-conditioning, power steering, central locking, 6 stack CD, tow bar, bull bar, 15" rims with near new tyres, new clutch, new front disks, green colour, rear vinyl cover (needs work).

$30,000 asking price. Contact Greg Parr on ph#(07) 4046-1120 or (07) 4057-8151 or via email gparr@wgclaw.com. Cairns (Queensland).

http://www.aussieveedubbers.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31560
AnswerID: 97476

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:44

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:44
Didn't they have a viscious drive - which would be smooth. I have thought about these also, I reckon they would be good especially if it is diesel. You could put a slipon camper on the back and your away.
AnswerID: 97542

Reply By: Markymark - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:36

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:36
Thanks Pullsy & Beddo,

I remember the old synchro's, I reckon they jointly won Overlanders 4WDOTY back in '91 with the then new, 1HZ 80 series Cruiser. I think they also had the option of double diff locks. Damn ugly but I like em! Still on the look out for this new TD though. Did get a brochure on them but must have been an old one cause the power/torque figures were ordinary, yet in this article I read it sounded like they'd be impressive. See how we go...

Cheers,

Mark.
AnswerID: 97551

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:43

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:43
Mark
the older model [pre 2005] has 2 problems, 1 low ground clearence [180mm] when loaded, 2 the viscous coupling is designed to give traction when the fronts are spining, than means that the front wheels have to brake traction before you get any help from the back, on a greasy side slope you can immagine what will happen.
The new model has a different drive system and a much better motor, in fact the motor is the best on the market, 400nm, as to ground clearance I dont know.
Eric.
AnswerID: 97573

Sponsored Links