New tyres

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:10
ThreadID: 20292 Views:1844 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I know this one is going to cause a lot of debate...but here goes.
I need new tyres...I'm almost on slicks. I'm just about to get a 3" lift on my Landcruiser (80 series) and need to then get new tyres. I'm thinking BF A/T or M/T. I don't get to go 4WDing that much, but I do hate it when I can't get up a dune or rock/mud hill. So M/T would be great!! However, I also want to keep my boss (you know...the wife) happy and not spend too much, so I am open to any other suggestions. Has anyone tried Motorway's? They look alright.

Thanks
Paul

PS: Yes, most of my driving is city driving...can't get out of it enough!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:32

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:32
Maaaaate,

get some cheapo bridgestones H/T's for around town and get the motorways, or whatever, on second hand rims for the offroad stuff. Driving on aggressive tyres is not only noisy, but they won't last as long.

4WD Monthly did a test recently on M/T tyres, and guess what came out tops....
BFG M/T's.

These are not in the hard core category (that was a seperate test) but are a good tyre none the less.

AnswerID: 97588

Follow Up By: PaulK - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:45

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:45
That just seems a lot of hassle though. I'm not worried about road noise (I can just turn the stereo up louder!) KM's from the tyres a little. That's why I'm looking at alternatives. I read all of the magazine articles, but sometimes find that whoever pays the most for advertising gets the best result ... no surely they wouldn't do that!

Paul
FollowupID: 356152

Reply By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 01:02

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 01:02
Seems like you are doing a fair bit of on-road.
Muds are not fantastic in the sand, and they tend to squirm around on the road a little. The ATs seem like they would be ideal, they come in a little cheaper than the muds, and they are just as rugged (3 ply sides).
Ive been trying to track down someone running motorways on the road for a while with no luck- My concern was that due to the way they are constructed they may not "bag out" as much when pressures are let down, which would be disadvantage in the soft stuff, but i cant be sure. The other thing is the speed rating- they seemed to have a lower speed rating than their new equivalents.
AnswerID: 97591

Follow Up By: PaulK - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:47

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:47
Thanks. I'll let you know if I track down a user of Motorway's. Apparently a lot of taxi's and truckies us them......not so many 4WD's though
FollowupID: 356172

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:25

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:25
G'day Ben,

Just to clarify something you said there which I think has been shown to be a misconception......you used the term "bag out". A lot of blokes think that the big advantage they achieve in sand from letting their tyres down, comes from this so-called "bagging" effect. They believe (wrongly) that letting tyres down causes the sidewalls to bag-out, thus adding to the size of the footprint the tyre makes on the sand. However, tests have shown that the enlarged footprint is actually due to the tyre "print" elongating, rather than widening to any massive extent.

Indeed, if the sidewalls DO flatten out very much it makes them VERY susceptible to sidewall punctures; the sidewalls (even the 3 ply rated ones) are no where near as tough as the tread section of the tyre and they were not designed to run with sidewalls touching the ground.

Soooo, I guess the upshot of that, is that if you can get a tyre that WON'T bag out to the sides as much as some others, maybe they would be better suited to sand driving.
FollowupID: 356185

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 15:53

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 15:53
Roachie is spot on.
From exp I have found this to be the case.
AT.s are probably the best bet.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 356236

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 02:01

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 02:01
Having two sets of tyres may seem a hassle at first, but trust me, after a year or two of driving around town on aggressive rubber, it will become annoying.

It's OK when your a young bloke, happy to turn heads and feel good, but the practicality of it is next-to-none.

The bonus of having two sets is the bush tyres will last for ages, and won't just be worn out from all the bitumen miles, which isn't what you want them for anyway.

The best compromise, so more and more people are saying, is the new coopers.

Don't get me wrong, it's your money and your car, I'm only trying to be constructive.

Maybe you could opt for some good A/T's and a diff lock !!!!
AnswerID: 97593

Follow Up By: PaulK - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:46

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:46
Thanks for the advice. I'm beginning to see that A/T's seem to be a good compromise.
FollowupID: 356171

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 11:37

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 11:37
Muzzgit
I agree with what you say. On bitumen the big lug tyres are noisy, wear faster, and don't handle (cornering and braking) as well in either wet or dry conditions. In addition, a 3 inch lift might look impressive but again you get poorer stabilty for what sounds like is going to be the majority of your driving. A way around this is to use the money you save on the lift to buy a set of four rims and fit some 33" tyres for off road use. This will give you a 2" lift, plus the aggressive rubber. The downside is transporting and changing 4 wheels when you do your infrequent off road forays.
FollowupID: 356196

Reply By: fozzy - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:18

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:18
paul
dont think you will have to much fun with muddies in the dunes you talk about but for other scenarioes muddies are good.
a/t are a good compromise
also if u go say 285/75/16 which is pretty popular these days they will give u approx 1 inch lift under diffs-compromise being speedo slightly out
ps check your insurance re lift heights(just so you are aware) in case youre not as quite a few have a 2inch limit all up inc tyres
cheers fozzy
AnswerID: 97597

Follow Up By: PaulK - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:50

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:50
So M/T are no good in sand? You would be the first person to tell me that. I have been asking this for a long time and no-one has been able to tell me this. This would definitely sway me to A/T.
I'll check my insurance. I think I'm right though. I checked a lot of these things before handing over any money to them!!!
FollowupID: 356173

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:44

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:44
The last thing you really want in sand is something that will dig holes..

HT's are the best for sand work.

For the little klms you appear to do in mud etc, AT's would be by far the best for you.
FollowupID: 356187

Reply By: conman - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:36

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:36
Hi Paul,

My experience only, Had bfg a/t's, used to clog up in sand like turning the tyre into a slick. Put on bfg M/t's BIG difference, in my opinion much better in the sand, more like a paddle and impossible to clog up. On road not much diffrence, i reckon the m/t is the better all round tyre actually.
AnswerID: 97627

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 14:16

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 14:16
Having them clog up with sand is not a problem, unlike mud. Slicks would be good on sand. You don't need so much traction on sand, you need to sit on top of sand and roll along. Traction will dig holes and get you bogged.
FollowupID: 356213

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 12:33

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 12:33
Tyres clogging up in sand is not a problem.

The best tyres for sand are bald tyres.

I have proven this many times, whenever I've been low on tread, I have never experienced trouble in sand situations.

When I was a teenager, our neighbours had beach buggies, and they always went to the tyre dealer and got second hand tyres with very little tread. At first I thought this was a money saving thing, but was advised that they always go for baldies cos they're better for beach work.

When I bought my first forby, it was an FJ45 with near-on bald 750/16 skinnies, and people kept telling me I shouldn't be driving up the beach, but I went everywhere they did, and in a few cases even further.
No diff lock, No LSD, No V8 engine.
AnswerID: 97632

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 13:57

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 13:57
I would suggest you try Bridgestone Dueller M/T's. I have them on my 80 series (265/75R16) and have found them to be great both on and off road. They are as quiet as Bridgestone Dueller AT's, and tend to last a lot longer. I have also found them great in the sand...
AnswerID: 97642

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 14:57

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 14:57
I think you've answered your own question - you don't do much 4WDing so why get muddies? Go with all terrains and let them down a bit when you can't get up something. I currently run Cooper STT's and whilst the noise isn't a big issue they are wearing a bit quickly (the 80 is out only vehicle so unfortunately it does a fair bit of bitumen running as the wife's runabout). I'm getting a hold of a second set of rims and will then go with the two sets others have mentioned - road tyres for everyday use and a set of aggressive ones for 4WDing. Can't comment of how big a pain swapping them will be but it doesn't take that long to take a tyre off and put another on so it can't be too bad.
AnswerID: 97653

Follow Up By: Disco200Tdi - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:38

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:38
Buying a second set of rims gives you an excuse to get a garage air compressor and rattle gun/air tools as well.
Well that what I told my missus.

John D
FollowupID: 356376

Sponsored Links