ARB dual battery - 80 series - help please

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:06
ThreadID: 20295 Views:2190 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello again,

Finally received the dual battery system for the 80 series from ARB with the 'smart solenoid'. Reading over the instructions in preperation for the install this weekend I have a question I hope you may be able to help me with.

I notice the dual battery system gets some wires run to the 'power outlet box'. When i run the cigarette adaptors for some 12v appliances to run off the deep cycle... do i run the cables to the battery (with fuse box etc) or to the power outlet box? I presume the power outlet box still draws its power from the cranking battery.

Once again your comments are appreciated - thank you

(Flinders Ranges - I'll be there this time in three weeks... you bewdy)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:59

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:59
Hi I hope i understood your questions properly...the wiring from ARB to the smart solenoid suggests power come from the box of fuses near the aircleaner is that right.....
Ok they are from the main battery. To control the smart solenoid, that would make sence.
What you can do is this.....Go to a auto parts outlet or a wrecker, and get a fuse box. Attatch it to the aux battery with the large wire from the isolator.
Run all your aux power off this fuse box. If you like, connect the duke box and spotlights up aswell. This gets the aux battery used whilst normal driving.....
Hope this helps
Andrew

ps another way would be to buy a fuseable link setup off a wrecker and then you have a spare if your main one blows.
A
AnswerID: 97609

Reply By: Ray Bates - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:18

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:18
Hi. You should see two small terminals on the soliniod. One is connected to the aux power box and to the aux line and the other to earth. It is advisable to install a good quality thermal overload in the line.
AnswerID: 97615

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 14:45

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 14:45
G'day Marko
I think you'll find that the power outlet box is just used to source the power to run the solenoid. When you turn the ignition on the solenoid will connect the batteries thus enabling charge to flow through to the aux battery. When you turn the ignition off the flow is cut and thus the starting battery is isolated from the items drawing power - typically a fridge. So to answer your questions you run the adaptor wires to the deep cycle battery - just like you would for the fridge. That way when the ignition is off your appliances will be drawing power only from the DC battery.
AnswerID: 97651

Follow Up By: Marko - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 15:01

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 15:01
Moose - your a legend.

I don't think I explained myself very well in the post, thank you to all who replied. The way you explained it is exactly what an electrical numbat like me needed to hear. You've made my day!!!

I shall begin installation tonight. Thanks Moose!

Marko
(this time in 3 weeks I'll be camping somewhere near Dawson, SA)
FollowupID: 356222

Follow Up By: Moose - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 17:49

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 17:49
Good luck with the job but don't blame me if you blow yourself up!
Cheers
Moose
FollowupID: 356252

Reply By: Marko - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:25

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:25
Nah you are right. I installed it last night - works a treat... took about 3hrs. Simple!

Thanks all for the responses.

Marko

(This time in three weeks I'll still be sleeping :-^
AnswerID: 97799

Sponsored Links