Camping info

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 19:31
ThreadID: 20313 Views:1746 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Can anyone give advice on what info books to get regarding cheap camping / caravan spots for NT and WA.
Towing a caravan behind the Patrol in June,July and August from Adelaide to Darwin and then down the West Coast making our way back to Adelaide ( can't wait ).
All advice appreciated.
Regards
Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tessa_51 - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 19:55

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 19:55
Peter
I was going to recommend the "Camps Australia Wide 2" that used to be available through the Exploroz shop (see the menu at the bottom of the page). But apparently it is out of print. You might pick one up somewhere. There are a number of other good publications listed in the exploroz shop have a look at them. The other thing to consider is the old reliable word of mouth. Once you get out there and start camping there will always be people who will pass on their experiences to you.

Tessa
AnswerID: 97714

Follow Up By: R.E.P.C.O. - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 21:31

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 21:31
Not out of print, sold out.
New version coming in April
Camps Australia Wide 2 check out the website
FollowupID: 356295

Follow Up By: R.E.P.C.O. - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 21:33

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 21:33
Oh Yes, I would throughly recommend the book.
Will be at the head of the queue to buy the new version.
FollowupID: 356296

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 21:44

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 21:44
So i will exspect you at Birdsville for the National gathering on the 9th/10th/11th of july eh!!!!!

There's a Simpson crossing in there at the gathering!!!!!

Baz.
FollowupID: 356299

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 20:16

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 20:16
There is/was a book on overnight stops (2 books really) that gave camping sites Nth and Sth in WA. May still be in production. If not available through this site then call The Chart and Map Shop in Collie St Fremantle - good source of stuff. Also have a look at the Naturebase.com.au site - Gives info on Nat Pks. There are heaps of books avail - give the tourist bureau in Perth a call- have no idea what they call themselves these days. Also check in with the WA 4WD Assoc - they can put you in touch with people as well. Have a great trip and enjoy what we have to offer in this part of the world.

rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 97718

Reply By: Jason B - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 21:02

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 21:02
Peter,

We have recently joined 'Top Tourist Parks' and have found the information they provide is great for caravan parks. Once you are a member (cost of $20) it also provides you with discounts of 10%, which quickly recover and excede the cost of joining.

Another great book we have been using is the Gregory's 'See Australia 4WD' book by Ron & Viv Moon. It provides detials on 40 different trecks around Australia, state by state. Some day treks and others longer. I purchased the book from 'Australia Post' and are having fun following trips were possible and camping along the way.

Two of the best spots I used to visit while growing up in WA were 'Yallaingup' up and my favourite 'Esperance'. Esperance has the great 'Cape Le Grand National Park'. There was (over ten years ago) camping etc avaliable, but you need to be self sufficant for food and drinking water.

Have a great trip,

Jason B
AnswerID: 97729

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 23:07

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 23:07
IMHO the best free camping guides are "Priceless Campsites & Rest Area's in North WA" and "Priceless Campsites & Rest Area's in South WA", both by Jan Holland. Between the two books you will have all of WA covered. We've found them to be very good with detailed directions and descriptions of the campsites and rest area's including available facilities etc. Both books are available from the EO shop.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 97765

Follow Up By: Member - muzzgit - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 00:56

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 00:56
YES, These books are great value.

I recommend them to anyone who is into camping.

Great stuff.
FollowupID: 356340

Reply By: motherhen - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 23:33

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 23:33
Go to westernbelle.com

There is a section which lists just about every rest area and camping opportunity in WA. As Belle has travelled with a bus, listing flags if OK for big rigs, which we found most helpful as we didn't want to uncouple the caravan. Before i left, i printed the pages for towns we expected to travel through/near. Still found plenty of scope over and above the listed areas.

SA was great - many roads have accessible old raods running alsongside - in WA they tend to block them off or rip them up. If we couldn't find anywhere wonderful, we pulled onto one of these old roads. If not on a major highway, the traffic goes quiet at night.

Yet to get to NT

Enjoy your trip

MOtherhen
AnswerID: 97773

Sponsored Links