Need a new stove

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 23:50
ThreadID: 20324 Views:2021 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

I'm flicking the old companion stove. Despite Jimbo great advice on cleaning jets, it's too old now and needs new burners as well. Time for a newy.

After reading that thread about Jimbo's jets, I'm inclined to get a coleman. Problem is, which one. We do mostly base camping with a few weekend trips. For the weekend trips, I'll stick to the little butane canister jobbies which are awesome for what they are.

Any thoughts on the benefits of the dual fuels? Are they hard to use? I'm happy to take an LPG gas bottle for it as need one for the fridge anyway :-).

Thanks for your help once again.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 23:53

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 23:53
Sorry, where to buy would also be a help.

Thanks.
AnswerID: 97781

Reply By: pixiemops - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 02:19

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 02:19
I have a duel fuel coleman stove . I think they are fantastic and are a sinch to use. Just follow the instructions underneath the lid of the carry case. For the first 30sec or so you will get a yellow flame then it settles down and appears like the gas . I find it better to just open the valve a little when lighting as you can get quite a big yellow flame on initial lighting. They are light compact and if you have some unleaded fuel on hand you will always have that cup of tea on the boil.
AnswerID: 97792

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:09

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:09
G'day Smocky,
I've just picked one up off the Trader section for only $100. I searched the archives first to get more info, there are a number of good disccussions. I found that most people who switch to dual fuel Colemans, stick with them. I am much happier not carrying gas in the vehicle. If you go on longer trips, and have an unleaded vehicle, you don't need to worry about running out of fuel for cooking, they are very efficient. Best run on Shellite or Solvent 103 than unleaded as petrol is not as clean but some people just use unleaded and replace generator (around $25) or regularly clean it. Mine is a 2 burner, main burner for cooking, second for simmer. They are easy to use, pressure is the key. You may just have to adjust your cooking methods, then you'll be set. Coleman have been making dual fuel stuff for 90 yrs so I reckon they have a good product, very well built.
Get 'em online or any decent camping store, don't know if BigW/KMart sell them.

cheers,
Jeremy.
AnswerID: 97796

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:43

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:43
Smocky,

You say you carry a gas bottle anyway. Well mate, the Coleman dual burner gas stove will resolve all your concerns.

Like you, I gave my old Companion the flick (not really, I still have it in the shed) after my trip to the corner country (SA) and the blocking of the jets from bulldust.

The Coleman stove does not have jets and therefore is not prone to blockage.
I looked at the dual fuel model and decided it wasn't for me. Didn't like the tank sticking out in front, or buggering about with them.

The stoves should be available at most camping store outlets (eg. Camping World) for less than $150 including electronic ignition.

Here's the Coleman Australia WEB site:-Coleman Stoves
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 97801

Follow Up By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:46

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:46
Will Try Again:-)

Coleman Australia
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 356345

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 08:21

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 08:21
Agreed, Coleman low pressure regulated two burner is the way to go. Make sure you get the one with the red knob on the left for igniting, saves looking for a light. There are two models, one with, one without. Bought mine on-line through Grangers.
FollowupID: 356353

Follow Up By: flappa - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:06

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:06
I also bought a Low Pressure Coleman (with piezzo lighting).

One of the reasons I bought it was because its used in the Annex of a Camper Trailer , and I didn't want the risk of Flare ups.
FollowupID: 356360

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:58

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:58
Do what I did...... go and look for a chair....
AnswerID: 97802

Reply By: ianmc - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 23:05

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 23:05
Coleman LPG is excellent. Have had one for years & it will simmer very low or boil easily. Also it is not so fazed by a strong breeze. Others seem to blow out or become useless.
ULP sounds good but havent tried it.
AnswerID: 97966

Reply By: MRTEE ( VIC ) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:36

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:36
Hello smocky I have a coleman 2 burner gas stove , I got someone to demo the duel fuel stove and said no thanks the flame stands up about 200mm on start up no good aroud kids ,you have to wait untill it settles before cooking. because the coleman gas stoves have a regulator they use very little gas I use a 1.25 kg bottle for 2/3 nights where I used to take a 3 kg bottle for the companion . 10.000 btu burners make the old stove a joke, anything coleman make is quality .
AnswerID: 98052

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:47

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:47
Thanks MrTee, I think I've settled on a Coleman 2 burner with the auto ignition. Will be checking the Illawarra camping show to see if I can get me a bargain.

Cheers and thanks for your replies,

Smocky.
FollowupID: 356596

Sponsored Links