Some more on Spike anti-4wd campaign

Submitted: Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 13:32
ThreadID: 20342 Views:2221 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Here's what he wrote today. No he reckons we should be attached to a pillori like in the old days. He tends to forget in the old days of the French revolutions, people like hime had their head severed from their bodies and put on pikes that were paraded through Paris for everyone to spit on it.

Fender offenders

Thus far in our discussion of oversized 4WDs and 2WDs (Spike, Monday) we haven't once mentioned "environment".

However, in the US the ecological threat posed by the epidemic of these gargantuan, gas-guzzling beasts has particularly angered two San Franciscans, Robert Lind and Charles Dines. Since the late 1990s they have have been stalking SUVs and surreptitiously attaching stickers saying: "I'm changing the climate! Ask me how!"

The removable stickers point to http://www.changingtheclimate.com. It says: "We are using ridicule and social embarrassment to change the habits of the American consumer. In the old days, society had a pillory to shame people out of antisocial behaviour. Today we have the mighty bumper sticker. The idea of this website is to stigmatise the insanity of ... American consumerism and vapid status acquisition ... Most people don't need the automotive version of the Exxon Valdez to run their daily errands."

Other anti-SUV activists highlight the dangers of big cars by affixing more aggressive stickers, such as "I'm twice as likely to kill you" and "I win if we crash".

We'll wrap up the topic next week with a summary of readers' emails. The printable ones.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Utemad - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 13:58

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 13:58
I wish someone would put a "I win if we crash" sticker on my car. Perhaps I'll have one made up.

I think it's pretty good. Might slow the small car sales if they realise the death traps they are driving LOL.

Perhaps even the "I'm twice as likely to kill you". Nothing to do with my 4x4 just the axe behind the back seat!!
AnswerID: 97855

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 14:16

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 14:16
Put me down for some of your stickers when you get them.
I like the idea.
FollowupID: 356396

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:19

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:19
certainly beats my "i run over small furry animals and i vote"
"i run over mazda 121s and i win"... Im off to a sticker shop!
FollowupID: 356417

Follow Up By: Brad and His Disco - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 11:57

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 11:57
Ive seen this in sticker format before....

Sorry Ladies
FollowupID: 356634

Reply By: Grumpybum - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 13:59

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 13:59
Its one of the joys of living in a democracy that we put up with the 'Conspiracy Theoryists' - members of the 'Flat Earth Society' and extreme elements of the 'lunatic fringe' . Long live diverity..it would be a boring old place if we were all the same.

Regards
AnswerID: 97856

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 16:58

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 16:58
Yeah grumpy you are soooooooooo right even total nutter like me and Harold Scruby can voice our absurd opinions without fear or favour.... i just wish some halfwit politician would support my extremist views like they support scruby's....
FollowupID: 356565

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 14:39

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 14:39
"I'm twice as likely to kill you" and "I win if we crash".

Where do I get one of these stickers?
AnswerID: 97860

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 15:00

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 15:00
Truckster,

Good sticker, but I think it's missing the "ask me how" in the first one though!

Kind regards
FollowupID: 356399

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:10

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:10
I rather the monniker "Please excuse me temporarily ignoring you, I am re-loading!"
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 356413

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 18:22

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 18:22
so many $%#holes - so few bullets
FollowupID: 356439

Reply By: pmacks - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 15:00

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 15:00
Please put me down for five of each sticker they are great, i will put one next to the ban stupid pedestrans not bull bars sticker that i have.
AnswerID: 97863

Reply By: mcgra - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 15:23

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 15:23
all well and good

but if you catch them putting such a sticker on your car.

take their number plate and report them for vanderlism and graffiti on your car.

a criminal conviction should dampener there spirits plus the 1000 dollar cost from
the panel beater for his time to fix up the adhesive marks left behind.

of course if you told him it should be 1000 dollars to fix it im sure he would understand and charge accordingly

gra
AnswerID: 97868

Reply By: old-plodder - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:12

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:12
This bloke likes raising the emotions.

1. Us gallon is less than aussie gallon, so don't believe the mpg figures.
2. I get about the same l/100k around town as my friends in commodes and fallcons.

I like raising the issue about 4wds at BBQs wtih friends. Try this next time.
Don't argue about the emotional stuff about 4wds being dangerous, agree as any car is dangerous.
Ask them to be the legislator writing the legislation.
1. 4wd are the problem - we ban all 4wds? including subarus, 4wd magnas? No?
2. height is the problem - we ban all 4wds over a certain height? And all vans and caravans and ...? No?
3. weight is the problem - so we ban anything over 1700kg tare, and anything under 1000kg tare? including fords, commodores, luxury vehicles? No?
If 2000kg tare, my pajero is OK, and alot of other 4wds.
4. braking and car dynamics is the problem - so we ban anything that doesn't meet dynamic requirements such as delivery vehicles and older cars, and cars that are just badly designed? No?
5. We ban 4wds by make and model? OK, but how do we get them from storage to the county roads.
6. What area do we ban them from? City areas? what about regional cities like Newcastle? Non capital city peole deserve as much protection from these monsters as any one else. How does a 4wd drive around the banned areas to access the country roads they are allowed to drive on?

7. OK - so now we have a ban worked out, how many extra police cars or survellience cameras are we going to put on the roads to catch all these law breakers.
8. Do we get reduced registration and insurance costs due to limited use in less dangerous areas where there are less accidents?

Can you see all this happening? Discuss it with your friends and lets get some logic into the argument.
AnswerID: 97884

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:45

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:45
Opps , forgot to add.

If height is a problem, what height is acceptable?
1.2m , 1.4m 1.5m, 1.8m?
What about minimum height of the drivers eye, greater than 1m from the road? Ban those ferraris and low sports cars as they are dangerous for thier drivers.
FollowupID: 356429

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 18:26

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 18:26
All abit of a joke here in the west I dont here any of this crap coz no one would bring it up! by the way in seppo land no one would dream of driving a diesal with the sort of powerplants they run they would drool at the economy of a patrol 4.8
FollowupID: 356441

Reply By: warthog - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:18

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:18
Having had my bike licence before car and ridden bikes in Melb as motorcycle courier for a brief period thisbleepzen is a little ironic. I have been forced the wrong side of safety zones at tram stops and forced out of my lane on the freeway after having d'head sit on my back wheel for several k's first, nevermind all other lanes were free. This was I presume because these pelicans were in the larger vehicle and felt they could. Having experienced this sort of driving I don't condone it but isn't it ironic how people moan and bleat when they feel a little threatened / vulnerable. Yes lets ban everything except motorbikes.
AnswerID: 97888

Follow Up By: slyonnet - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:40

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:40
Well I have seen motorbike riders doing more than 120km/h in 60 zones and changing lanes without indicating in the middle of heavy traffic.
Any vehicle is going to be dangerous if there is an di#@head driving it. It does not mean that every single person driving the same vehicle should be taken out of the road.
What we should ban is stupid behaviour!
FollowupID: 356427

Follow Up By: warthog - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 22:09

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 22:09
Where in my post did I say I was speeding.The freeway incident I was on a DR500 @95 kmh 2nd lane from the left out of 4 mt lanes, the gentlman in question felt I should have moved out of the lane rather than him have to go around me, when I did not he simply moved alongside and pushed me over. The tram incident a taxi driver travelling at the same speed moved into my lane focing me over the yellow bricks on the road and down the tram side of the safety zone. I am sure any bike rider who regularly rides in traffic can give you similar and worse examples of arrogant behaviour from motorists.
The point I was trying make is that some people are only too happy intimidate other road users but want to ban any vehicle that has the potential to do the same to them eg trucks 4wds. I no longer have a motorcycle as I cant afford 4wd and bike so unfortunately bike had to go. I certainly don't drive my 4wd in a manner that is intended to intimidate road users motorcycle or car but have certainly been the victim of such behaviour from car drivers when riding a bike.... I don't hear the call to ban cars which follows the same logic as banning 4wds.
FollowupID: 356504

Follow Up By: Rust bucket - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:18

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:18
Warthog, I keep a suply of marbles in my bike jacket pocket. Any silly bugger tailgating me gets one of these flicked over my shoulder.
FollowupID: 356535

Follow Up By: warthog - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 03:14

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 03:14
Wish I had one for that bloke but he sure $hit himself when I pulled up behind him at the lights at the end of the freeway. Looked quite pale as he briskly wound up the window and locked the door. Saved by the change of lights.
FollowupID: 356543

Reply By: Kazza055 - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 18:35

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 18:35
Here are some more questions to ask.

1. How many 4x4 have been confiscated under the WA hoon laws?

2. How many 4x4 do you see racing each other and weaving thru the traffic on the freeways?

3. How many sets of 4 wheel donuts do you see on the back streets of industrial areas?

Answer to all above - NONE.

Bob
AnswerID: 98028

Sponsored Links