Hyundai Terracan

Submitted: Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 16:31
ThreadID: 20344 Views:2485 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Went for a drive in the new diesel auto version today to see what they are like (cruiser man myself ). Well , was very surprised with the amount of get up & go, except for an annoying flat spot which comes in just as you accellerate, these things I reckon would blow the a-se off the Pajero's, Nissans & the Prado. The motor is a lot quieter than the Pajero & the others both at idle & when driving, in fact you wouldn't know it was a diesel. As for the rest of the vehicle, well I won't comment as to each to their own. But the engine is a beauty especially with the 15,000 service interval. If it had the Prado 5 speed auto it would be better. Unfortuneately with the way the flat spot comes in just off idle & the rush of power at 1700 rpm (when the Turbo cuts in ) it would be a real beast to control in mud etc and is very off putting and disconcerting with this vice. ( feels like it dies in the a-se !)Asked the dealer whether this was a one off & was told it was normal. But I suppose when you consider the price & performance there's going to be a few red faces at the traffic light derby both in the other Petrol & Diesel brands.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:45

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:45
The snorkel kit from the 100 series Tojo's fits 'em nice too. I'm busy making brackets for TJM to finish the job off on the ones that have had the conversion.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 97898

Follow Up By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 00:23

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 00:23
wolfie do you know if the converted ones will fit the petrol terracan and if so where can I get one

Thanks Tim now in the top end
FollowupID: 356531

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 18:01

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 18:01
Welcome to the world of common-rail turbo diesels :)

The Jeep's CRD engine is a ripper too...and benefits from a variable-geometry turbo to all but alleviate the lag and flat-spot you mention.

Diesel technology that's available now surprises nearly all that drive them....... and I love watching the faces of those drivers next to me at the lights when they get left well behind after they make moves to get ahead of the "big fat slow 4WD" and cut in front.
AnswerID: 97902

Reply By: herkman - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 19:26

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 19:26
What you are encountering is called Turbo lag.

It is a design problem, so it is not likely to go away.

Yes all design faults are classified as normal, so it is unlikely to be fixed under any sort of program.

The best CDI diesel is the ML270, which is the same engine as in the JEEP. Thses things really get up and move

Regards

Herkman
AnswerID: 97927

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 21:43

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 21:43
Hi Shane
They are impressive arnt they. We were in one back in September last year and it towed our boat to the dam. When we tow the boat with the patrol we drop back to about 40 kmh up the hills, no joke. This deisel terracan towed the boat up the same hills on cruise control doing 100 kmh and didnt even drop back. I couldnt believe it. And you are right, I wouldnt like to drag one of in the patrol at the traffic lights, I can tell you that much. You also get around 900km's (I think thats right) to the tank as well. We are flat out getting 600 from the patrol. Not a bad car at all.
Karen
AnswerID: 97952

Follow Up By: Brian - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 23:01

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 23:01
As a Terracan owner - Look out Patrols & Landcruisers

We're comin' to get ya!
FollowupID: 356517

Sponsored Links