For JEFF M, WA your rig. SURF SSR-X. All welcome

Submitted: Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 19:29
ThreadID: 20354 Views:1999 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Jeff.

I looked @ a 96 SSR-G yesterday and was wondering about your expeirences in this/ your rig. The above I looked @ has 110K, no intercooler, ex Prado alloys OEM tyres. I'm wondering about offroad ability with the suspention OEM and what/ if improvements are posssible, considering the electric soft/hard standard incab adjustments? Can this be disengaged and more offroad friendly susp' fitted?
I have a 94 Extracab 2.8D.
All contributors welcomed, thankyou

Regards
Andy
awise181 at bigpond dot com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 19:48

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 19:48
Yeah mate if it wasn't for the fact that the rear springs were just knackered in mine and that fact that I overload the poor thing to the hilt it would be extremely capable off road stock.
I havn't changed my shocks yet, they are still orig and working great. No Leaks or anything.
However replacing the shocks with aftermarket is no problem whatsover, you just end up with a switch on the dash that you have to find another use for (wouldn't be a problem, I'm drilling holes in the dash now as I've run out of places for switches) LOL

Mine does not have an intercooler either as that was only on 96' onwards vehicles. Is this one the older shape (like mine) or the newer constant 4wd model. I've seen a few surfs with prado rims, been thinking about it myself. Makes them look incredibally mean going from 15" to 16". Mines done about 110k as well, going well no signs of clock winding. I did the timing belt and all drive betls hoses etc recently, an absolute peice of bleep to do.

The car itself is just a dream to drive on and off road, the auto box is very good the departure angle isbleepe so you will need a good tow bar on the back if it doens't alreay have one and probally re routing the exaust out the way would be a good idea. Mines sticks straight out the back next to the tow bar so the only thing going to take a wallop is the bar not the exaust (I just kept squashing and angle grinding the stock exaust until I gave up and go it replaced).
Other than that only good experiences to say about it really.
Get the car thoroughly checked out by a mechanic or the RAC (or equiv.) and if you think somthings sus with it it probally is and move on to the next one. The SSRG's are totally awsome with HEAPS of gadgets, even air filters inside the cab for the smokers, bloody cool cars.
Make sure the beast hasn't had anyone mucking around with the speedo. Make sure the numbers all line up, make sure the pedals, steering wheels, suspension everything matches the k's. If the seat is worn to buggery than I would guess it hasn't done 110k's.
I reckon you'll find the stock shocks pretty good and the soft hard suspension actually isn't such a gimick it does have uses and works very well. I normally leave it on hard but for rough slow going tracks with the bub in the car it does pay to hit soft. If your going fast over rough terrain hit the hard button or bottom out BIG time and look like Uncle Buck. :-)
If you have any more questions donm't hesitate to ask.
AnswerID: 97930

Sponsored Links