Landcruiser HJ60

Submitted: Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2036 Views:8283 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Is there anyone/anywhere that I can get some general info on the Landcruiser HJ60? I will be borrowing one for 6 months for an upcoming trip round Oz and would like to get some information on it.
Good and bad points? Anything to look out for? Fuel consumption? etc etc.
Any info would be apprecited
Cheers
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bazza - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00
I have a Toyota Petrol Hj60, great motor vehicle, I have towed my roadstar caravan across to perth also have been around Aust, make sure it has a hose fitting from the transfer cas to the gear box, as they have a problem to blow the seal between the two boxes, it drains the oil from the transfercase and fills the gearbox, this will keep it even, I bought one from Repco in Kalgoolie, Also I have LPG fitted, they are fairly heavy on Petrol , I presume this is a petrol you are going use, Regards Bazza.
AnswerID: 6877

Reply By: Member - Cruiser1 - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00
Find yourself a copy of September's 4WD Monthly - they had a pretty good report on buying used 60 series. HJ 60 is the diesel, 4litre motor, while FJ60 is petrol motor.

I've got a HJ60 with aftermarket turbo. Goes great - average fuel consumption is just over 20 mpg. Good points: fairly easy to drive, go just about anywhere, parts available anywhere, simple to maintain, most mechanics know them, good storage, very strong. Bad points: for me there aren't any but some people might say: a bit truck-like to drive, hard to get into small parking spaces, a bit noisy, don't handle like a sports car, unlikely to be stopped for speeding :) (OK, so I'm a bit biased). Look after it and it will look after you..... Cheers, Cruiser.
AnswerID: 6965

Follow Up By: Mark G - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Cruiser,

Thanks for this. I'm looking forward to driving the beast! I don't suppose you know where I can get hold of a copy of 4WD monthly in England?!

Cheers
Mark

FollowupID: 3145

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser1 - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Mark, it just so happens that I have my copy.... in England. I spend much of my working life here but keep my Toyota in Melbourne. I am in Winchester. 4WD Monthly do a back issue service - email them on subs@expresspublications.com.au or fax on 00-612 9737 8017 They will happily airmail a copy if you give them your credit card number.
Cheers, Cruiser
FollowupID: 3148

Reply By: PaulW - Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00
Great Motor vehicle.
Very reliable.
Driven at 100KPH lightly loaded you will get around 12litres/100km
if the vehicle is in good condition.
The HJ 60 is a 4 Litre Diesel.
A common problem was the transfer case seal leaking causing gearbox oil to leak into the transfer case and then over filling the transfer case.
Many people have fitted a hose which puts the oil back into the gearbox so the oil can go back around. I have been warned however when the transfer case seal blows completely that this mod can lead to gearbox failure. So it is better to get a new seal, and probably the main transfer caseshaft and bearings to go with it. If you have the new shaft fitted then I have not had the seal go again. Only use high quality Diesel Oil.
Change the oil every 5000Km and the Oil Filter every 10,000 Km and it will last forever! 600,000Km out of an engine that is looked after is not uncommon.
If your Engine is using oil?
First try Injector Cleaner.
when the injectors are dirty they tend to spray the diesel in a constant stream instead of a mist. this washes the oil off the cylinder walls and causes increased oil consumption.
If you have been using a standard oil not specifically designed for diesels there is not enough detergent in the oil. This will cause excessive soot and other deposits to build up inside the engine and cause poor fuel consumption and increased oil use. Owner of 5 Landcruisers in the past 8 Years that have travelled 2,000,000Km combined. 1 x HJ60 1 x HZJ75 Troopcarrier, 2 x HZJ80 1x100 Series

AnswerID: 6977

Reply By: poyta - Saturday, Oct 12, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 12, 2002 at 00:00
I am about to inherit the family HJ60 and from experience of driving it on and off road have this advice.
1. if it has aftermarket aircon. watch out for rust in the rear roof, when we purchased ours we were told the aftermarket air causes condensation to form in the rear roof and to drill holes in the top of the rear door frame to squirt oil/diesel into fequently, we did this for several years and had no troubles however when we lost our little plugs for the holes we didn't bother doing the oil any longer and now I am looking to cut much of the back roof section off due to rust, and really quick rust at that.
2 learn how to use the tools and how to pump fuel through to the injectors, we have often run out of fuel mainly due to forgetting to turn the auxuliry tank off, either learn how to pump the fuel through or never, ever run out of fuel.
3. If you are towing heavy loads e.g. boats and camper trailers depending on the condition of the vehicle pulling the throttle out to the second last notch will often leave you sitting on 100k's almost as good as cruize control.
4. If you are going offroad in a big way, big rocks and such especially on dodgy looking rutted roads don't use sand tyres as they will get ripped to shreds, so if it already has big sandies on it don't even consider running on rock.
other than that great vehicles quite economical, beats petrol for prices and economy and reliable, though ours appears to be falling to bits from rust and missuse (who knew bikes could tear seats so easily) it keeps on going, and going and going.
AnswerID: 7339

Sponsored Links