lost my lights on 80s LC

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 00:30
ThreadID: 20366 Views:1874 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys got in my LC after work tonight only to find the lights wouldn't come on I have park lights and rear tail lights dash lights but no headlights high or low beam So what has gone wrong. To get home I was able to hold the high beam in what I call the flick position usually reserve for the idiots up here that don't like to dip there lights.

Can anyone help please.

PS just brought a front swivel hub kit and wheel bearings and CV joints just got to work out how to replace it all now
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 07:11

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 07:11
Tim,

Under the bonnet on the Passenger side there is a black box with fuses, just behide the battery tray. Lift the lid and there is a Headlamp relay check that also some fuses.

When doing the front end of your Cruiser, do one side at a time. That way you can check to make sure that it is going back the right way. Try and get a socket for the wheel bearing lock nuts. It is about 52mm. In the kit there should be new lock nuts, take one of them with you. I got mine through a beraing supply shop that also carried a lot of tools. It saves the hassel of trying to tap the nuts up tight, very hard to get a feel on how tight the bearing is.

Allow yourself a full day to do the job if it is your first time, but you will get quicker the more you do.

When doing the bearings everything must be clean when it goes back to-gether.
Also there is different grease for the CV and bearings
Wheel bearings: Lithium base wheel bearing grease NLGI2
CV : Molyb-denum disulphide lithium base grease

Good luck

Wayne
AnswerID: 97985

Follow Up By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 14:36

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 14:36
well had a auto elec look at it told me the problem is in the stork got a spare one of a mate but now the lighs are stuck on high beam any thoughts

tim
FollowupID: 356560

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:23

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:23
wayne what you say is too spot on I recently lost my lights and being no auto sparky started with the fuses but ended up popping the cover off that relay and mucking about with it. All I needed to do was gently bend the contact in more and hey presto. Unfortunatly it doesnt sound like it will help TIM
FollowupID: 356566

Reply By: kesh - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 08:03

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 08:03
Yep, agree with Tim it will be a loose relay. These are a plug in unit and as Tim says it is in the fuse box under the bonnet
AnswerID: 97988

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 10:29

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 10:29
Tim,

We had a 75 series with same problem, turned out to be a buggered fusible link. Not sure if the 80 has 2 links, but the 75 does, and one controls the lights.

We use to use the same method with lights, hold them back on "flash"

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 97996

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:25

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:25
another good answer for 75s I lost the lights on my camper and it was just a loose fusable link - cost me 1/2 carton at the tennent creek auto leccies
FollowupID: 356567

Reply By: ben - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 10:45

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 10:45
had similar problem on my 80 series, checked all fuses and relays, nothing was found, then tested each wire individually for breakages, couldnt find any , untill i found a wire coming of my battery had snapped inside the plastic coating, very lucky to find it, the wire was just supported by the plastic cover and had no resistance at all when moved, hope this helps.
AnswerID: 97999

Reply By: Seanny - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 13:35

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 13:35
Hello Tim,

The socket size is 54mm for the fron bearing preload. See www.lcool.org technical pages as there is some great items there which may be of assistance.

Regards,

Seanny
AnswerID: 98007

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:58

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:58
Tim,
If the lights are now stuck on high beam, I would still check the relay.

With the lights on, give the relay a tap, this just might fix the problem.

Also check the contacts on the stork and see if they have fused to-gether.

Wayne
AnswerID: 98025

Follow Up By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:14

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:14
Found the problem and fix it The new stork I brought came from a rolled over 80s and upon further inspection the stork had coped a hit and is bent which therefore it is not releasing the high beam. We pulled the new and the old to pieces to compare and test and what we found was that the old stork which has 3 wires attached to it 2 white 1 red, the red had broke away from the connector. So a quick solder and it was good as new. the new stork had the interment whipper option which the old did not so we removed the bent one and inserted the old repaired one all good now. complete with new features.

Thanks for all the info

FollowupID: 356589

Sponsored Links