duel battery setup

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 15:09
ThreadID: 20371 Views:3139 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi im looking at installing a duel battery system to my hilux to run an engel fridge.

ARB have got a special on at the moment with a thumper seald battery jump starter thing 24amp hour and duel battery cables for it for $400

is this a good deal?

does anyone know how long this should run a 40 engel fridge for?

if i just run it off of the standard battery in the car without another battery approximately how long would the fridge run until i get a flat battery?

any help would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 16:31

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 16:31
It must be an Outback model at 24 amps as the Thumper is 48 amps. Beware, the reason they are running them out is that Waeco have stopped making them, so if you have an issue with it you may have problems getting parts.

I have had a Thumper for a number of years and it would run my Waeco C50 for 2 days. Therefore I assume at about 3 amps an hour for 8 hours on out of 24 hours you could say the Outback will run your fridge for 1 day.

I would suggest gong for a 100 a/h AGM battery. You should be able to get this in a box, hella outlets, auto breaker etc for around the same price as the Outback. Do the sums 24 a/h v's 100a/h - easy decision. For around another $250 you could get it all cabled up with a redarc isolator or similar and have a good solution that is truly portable.
AnswerID: 98015

Reply By: DeanoNSW - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:34

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:34
Mark,

for $400 you can do much better in getting a proper second battery installed. If you do some research yourself, you can do the install, as its all pretty simple.

I suggest you you search the archives as there are so many posts on duel battery setups.

I have an old Rotronics unit and it works well for weekend use.

A 24amp thumper will not last very long, considering you are paying $400. For that money you could get a good quality 100 Amp Hour battery, plus a redarch isolator and cables. This will last much longer than the Waeco setup, and you have the added benefit of it being installed in the vehicle, so you don't have to mess around with cables etc each trip.

Cheers

Deano
AnswerID: 98021

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 18:14

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 18:14
Mark,

What Moggs said.

I've got the same setup as him (actually fitted by the same bloke) and it works a treat. All the advantages of a thumper with a lot more hoot.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 98160

Sponsored Links