Drove the Ernest Giles Road today / and Patience Well

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:16
ThreadID: 20373 Views:2219 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Yesterday on my way to Alice I decided to take the shortcut through Ernest Giles Road. I was in a 4 cylinder toyota front wheel drive van so I went against the advice of all the signs. It didnt matter, the road was OK. Only passed one vehicle, a Lancruiser Trayback. Saw two sets of camels - They look a lot different from the camels you see in Western Australia. After stopping overnight in Alice went back to the canyon today. Again I drove the Ernest Giles. I didn't stop to look at the craters.

I stopped at Ayres Lookout Road turnoff for a break. Had a nip of bourban and started to read February's Overlander magazine to read about the recent Patience Well expedition which I had purchased in Alice.
All I can say, seeing that I have more knowledge about the well than most, is that you shouldn't believe everything you read. As they say-"Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story". Very disappointing write up - Mr Glover didn't even mention any co-ordinates - very sus!!!! The well isn't even near any outcrops or caves as he implies.

I wouldn't attempt the Ayres Lookout Road in the vehicle I was driving - That is a 4WD track for sure.

Crossed the Palmer river - its very dry. It would be awsome to see wet. No camels were seen on the way home. Only one vehicle was passed on the way back - also a Landcruiser Trayback.

Cheers to all
Equinox
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:51

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:51
Equinox
I'd be interested to hear what you know about the patience well at some stage.
AnswerID: 98024

Follow Up By: equinox-Kings Canyon - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 23:47

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 23:47
Bob,

I have some details about the well on page 3 of chapter 5 of my website covering a trip I did following Carnegie. The link to that page is HERE

If you need any other details eg. co-ords of search areas I have covered etc. or just general info please contact me on my email - equinox@aijv.com.au

Also, if you or anyone has additional info I would love to hear it!!

Regards

Equinox
FollowupID: 356605

Reply By: Member - sparra - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 07:46

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 07:46
g,day equinox,exactly what i thought too.looks like they were at those outcrops about 5klm in from gary highway.i had a bit of a look for the well last year in july.i enjoyed your story of your carnegie trip. cheers sparra.
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 98091

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 07:54

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 07:54
g'day equinox,

had a look at your site. what a great adventure your trip was. have read a bit about carnegie years ago but only general info. have bookmarked your site and will "explore" it later.

thanks for the link

regards peter
AnswerID: 98093

Sponsored Links