Warn winch question

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:25
ThreadID: 20374 Views:1589 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I have a warn XD 9000 winch with the free spool lever stuck in the engaged position. I have read all the archives on this particular problem and also sought advice from the local 4x4 shop. I was told to take the lever out and check the condition of the drum inside it would probably be corroded which it was, so then i removed the drum from the end and found that the splined inner drum is stuck tight. So my question is how do i loosen the inner drum without damaging it or the outer casing. If it was steel on steel i would put some heat on it but being as it is steel on cast alloy i dont think that it would be wise. Hope someone can help.

Marty and Sam.
Perth
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MichaelR - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:09

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:09
Now according to Malcolm at SG Leslie what you do is spray in enormous amounts of CRC or similar, leave for a few days and then whack the winch end of the housing on a solid surface for all your worth. I did try this and nothing happened. He suggested I try harder! Anyway it eventually works and the splined cylinder moves.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 98044

Reply By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 22:35

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 22:35
Martin,

I have rebuilt these and I agree that if its this bad it will require a few days soaking. You can try kero first then some CRC. Them whack to loosen.

Regards,

Stuart M
AnswerID: 98066

Follow Up By: Member - Martin- Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 23:40

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 23:40
Thanks for the replys as i write this it is soaking in CRC. One other question on the electric motor side of things can i take it apart and clean it or am i better off leaving it to an expert as electrics are not my strong point.

Thanks

Martin
FollowupID: 356604

Sponsored Links