GU upgrade

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:10
ThreadID: 20382 Views:1817 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
i know there is plenty of info on this in the past (4.2 exhaust and turbo upgrades) but now that some of you have clocked up a few K's since having this done are you still happy with the end result would you do it again if required is there anything that you would change any problems as a result of having it done etc anything that you would do different
i would be interested to know as i have a 4.2tdi and will be towing a mobile road block so i am looking at this option purely for the purpose of towing
cheers
thanks to all that reply
Fitz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:56

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:56
mfitz, have had the MTQ turbo upgrade, 3" dump pipe and 3" exhaust. Would I do it again, YES, YES, YES!!!!!. Now better fuel economy and much more drivable. Wouldn't change a thing, though will be soon testing an I/C to see if it makes much difference to power, torque and EGT. Hope this helps?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 98042

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:00

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:00
John,

What brand/type of intercooler are you considering? How do you "test" an intercooler? Do you have access to someone who can fit one and if you're not happy, have them remove it at no cost etc?

I think the Denco unit (liquid cooled) could be a better option than an air to air unit.

Cheers,

Roachie
FollowupID: 356580

Follow Up By: trolute - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:42

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:42
John,

Did MTQ do you exhaust system as well, or just the turbo upgrade?

I have an 04 ute, can't touch turbo till warranty dies, but can do exhaust, but don't want it done by someone that doesn't know what they are talking about. In NQ, and MTQ are here in Townsville, so it might work out.

thanks

TrolUte
FollowupID: 356584

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:17

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:17
Roachie, have a mate that has made up one from PWR, I think, core. Nissan bonnet scoop etc. What we planned to do was to take it of his ute, bonnet etc and put it on mine and see what the difference is. Very little involved, no fuel pump mods etc. Very little cost. Denco would be nice, but does add complexity and extra cost. Will let the forum know what the results are and costs etc, when it has been tested. Hope this helps?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 98046

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:59

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:59
Thanks John,
One last question, if I may please...... which side of the bonnet is the scoop located for your mate's i/cooler? I have already added a scoop to the passenger's side of my bonnet in an effort to get some extra air over the turbo for cooling. If I was gunna add to top-mounted i/c, I would prefer one which would fit under that scoop. PWR do good stuff; I have one of their aluminium radiators in my 4.2t/d
Thanks
Roachie
FollowupID: 356597

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:20

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:20
Trolute, I had a local shop make up the exhaust, got the dump pipe from ARB Northern in Brissy, but a few mobs make them now. My ute has an extended warranty, but have done the turbo any way. Had the turbo fitted locally and tuned to MTQ specs, but it didn't really fly until I drove to Toowoomba and had it tuned by MTQ there. Hope this helps.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 98057

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 22:11

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 22:11
Roachie, thought I has a pic for you, but nope. It sits sligthly to the left, directly over the engine. The I/C sits directly over the engine, allowing easy access to oil filters etc. I can send you a pic on Wednesday when I get home if you like?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 98062

Reply By: Mr Z - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 10:31

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 10:31
how loud are the 3" exhausts? on the freeway around town? i 'm thinking og doing this mod in the next few weeks

what sort of cost from mtq for dump pipe exhaust tune etc?

cheers
AnswerID: 98113

Follow Up By: mfitz4321 - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 11:26

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 11:26
Mr Z
i havent had a price off mtq but motsons said about $1200 the local bloke where i live said he can do the exhaust for 950 fitted but then i would have to get a tune up done to get the most out of it anyway, so price would be about the same in the end. so i think it probably would better to go with the blokes that can do it all in the same workshop.
as for how loud cant help you there the local boy said you will know its on there but isn't annoying just a bit more throaty
cheers
Fitz
FollowupID: 356632

Reply By: JR - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 16:00

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 16:00
Fitz,
3" exhaust doesnt sound much different, but beware you need to increase the diameter of the elbow leaving the turbo, MTQ has a special cast iron elbow replacement. Watch quotes and what you get, exhaust itself doesnt do much
MTQ sell the whole kit all tuned up, and they do go well. 30% power, 20 odd % torque. Looks totally stock apart from exhaust and little boost controller on side of turbo. Use std turbo housing with new internals
JR
AnswerID: 98141

Follow Up By: mfitz4321 - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:51

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:51
JR hi
is this section of pipe you talk about is that the dump pipe or another section prior to that. this is my first turbo so still on the learning curb as far as whats involved with them
when i make the decision to do the upgrade i would like to get it done all at the same place from what i have read MTQ at towoomba sound like the guys to deal with i am currently in northen nsw havent heard of anybody up this way that specializes in this sort of thing even the local exhaust place said i would have to go to brisbane to get the tune up done i believe its a two day turn around for the hole deal.
cheers
Fitz
FollowupID: 356658

Follow Up By: Brian - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 00:43

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 00:43
When I was in Toowoomba in Nov they said 1 day turn around and about $2800 for the works (exhaust, Dump pipe,turbo internals on the inlet and outlet).
Was doing alot for the Ambulances said it was curing the overheating problems!!!

Brian
FollowupID: 356717

Sponsored Links