Jackaroo Differential

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2039 Views:3690 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 99 model Jackaroo SE Auto Petrol which has travelled 50000 K's. During the past week on 2 occasions within 5 minutes of each other I noted a shudder(thump-thump-thump) through the vehicle just after take off from a tight parking spot. The indication was as if I had a flat tyre on the passenger side rear. Tyres were OK so I checked to see if I had picked up a large stone & then checked wheel nuts - all OK. A friend suggested it might be due to the limited slip diff sticking and it should not really be a problem. Since that time have done ca 1000k's without it occuring again. My Holden Dealer has said he has not heard of this happening and suggested that if and/ or when it happens again that I take note. I think my description describes exactly how it was! Maybe someone can throw some light on what might be the problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mudgutz - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00
the bloke who serviced it put the right oil in for a limited slip diff.....didnt he????????????
AnswerID: 6874

Follow Up By: David - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
Yes the correct oil was used. This was one of the first things asked as it was only serviced a week before, but the diff oil was not changed at this service.
FollowupID: 3094

Reply By: Savvas - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

David ... As a '99 model, is your Jack still under warranty? If it is, make sure the dealer registers that you have experienced this problem, because if it come back to bite you at a later time it could be costly. At least this way, the dealer has been made aware and you may have some warranty recourse. Ensure you put it to them in writing, dates, kilometres, details .... everything.
AnswerID: 6891

Reply By: David - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Savvas for advice re logging complaint in writing with the dealer. Will do. Should be ok as I purchased a 6 year manufacturers warranty with the vehicle.
AnswerID: 6911

Follow Up By: Savvas - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00
Just confirm that the additional warranty is actually a manufacturers one. A lot of dealers sell an extended warranty but often it's not underwritten by the manufacturer. A mate of mine just bought an Equipe, also got an extra 3 years. It is quite explicit that it's not an I-GM warranty and for that extra 3 years to be valid, he must have it serviced at the selling dealer (don't how legal that is). Also, have a good look to see if there are $$$ limits to any repairs made under warranty. I remember reading one a few years back that had a limit of $1500 on each warranty incident. Obviously that wouldn't replace many of the major mechanicals in a Jackaroo.
FollowupID: 3133

Follow Up By: Savvas - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

PS ... I'm following a case in the US on an internet forum there. A fellow with an Isuzu Trooper (our Jackaroo), that is 3 years old and only 59miles out of warranty at 60,059miles, has failed crankshaft bearings and Isuzu America isn't accepting it as a warranty repair.
FollowupID: 3134

Reply By: David - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Savvas, I can confirm that my extra 3 year warranty is from GM and does not place any restrictions on where it is serviced. I was very conscious of this as I had an extended warranty on a Gemini that was not worth the paper it was written on. I had problems with my Jackaroo at 40000ks with rear wheel bearings that were leaking oil all over the brake discs! GM Dealer had the car for 3 days as the removal of wheel bearings on my Jackaroo involved them having to be sawn off!! I also had leaks from the differential which resulted in an overnight stay but was assured that the diff was ok. Since then have travelled 9000ks through central Australia. I have found that all problems have been picked up by Ultratune where I now get every second service.
AnswerID: 6956

Reply By: Kelli - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00
I experienced the same problem with 95 Rodeo limited slipped diff. I changed the oil type which cured the problem. I used Castrol LSX85W140 to fix the problem.
AnswerID: 7260

Sponsored Links