TAMBO CAMPER PURCHASE

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:09
ThreadID: 20395 Views:4061 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking about buying a Tambo camper (Cooper) and would appreciate any feedback from other Tambo owners on a couple of things.
1.The end wall option that you get free if your a EO member is it worth getting along with the draught skirt that goes around the trailer.
2.The Lido junior stove option are these any good as don't mind carrying gas bottles.
3.How well do they tow with a 2 wheel drive v6 car.
4.Any other options or mods worth considering, am getting-
tailgate kitchen,lockable toolbox,water tank and pump,extra gas bottle holder and side lift.
thanks,
Dale
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 13:16

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 13:16
Hi Kaz and Dale,

I have a Tambo Cooper, and absolutely love it. In answer to your questions:

1. I didn't get the draught skirt, but I am now thinking of getting it added. I am also going to purchase another end wall. The draught skirt would really seal up that end of the camper, and with the wall there it would keep out the wind, and restrict the entry of the flies when cooking.

2. I can't comment on the stove

3. I have towed my Tambo with my V6 Commodore, and I must say that you know it is there. If this was going to be your permanent tow vehicle, I would look at getting electric brakes on the camper, and a brake controller fitted to the tow vehicle. I have done both, but my tow vehicle is an 80 Series Cruiser.

4. I would seriously look at electric brake option. Over 750 kgs and brakes are mandatory, and your Tambo with option will weigh at least 550kg at a guess. That does not leave a lot of room for carrying gear before you are over that 750kg mark.

Amanda and Keith will be able to assist with anymore questions, they are great to deal with.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 98127

Follow Up By: Kaz & Dale - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 13:38

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 13:38
Yeah thanks Glenn might have to seriously consider the electric brake option as not planning on changing car for a couple of years yet.
Are you happy with the build quality as I live in remote part of WA and long way to go to get problems fixed.
Regards
Dale
FollowupID: 356640

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 13:44

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 13:44
Hi Dale,

The checker plate build is very solid. I had a friend of mine check it over (he is an engineer) and he was very impressed. I have yet to take mine on any outback roads, that will be in July/August this year when I visit the Gulf Region.

I also agree with Robb, a treg hitch is a better option, especially if it is going to be taken on rough terrrain and corrugations.

I looked around at other camper before I settled on the Tambo Cooper, and they won hands down for quality of build and product.

Cheers
FollowupID: 356641

Reply By: Robbg - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 13:34

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 13:34
I agree with Glenn regarding brakes. I bought my Cooper with brakes and holidayed at Wilson's Prom before I'd fitted the in car brake controller. The controller is now fitted and on test runs makes a big difference when stopping
in a hurry. The only other options I got were the treg hitch and 16inch wheels. Mounted my own basic kitchen on the tail gate shelf, and will add a tool box.
The only thing I'm regretting a little is that I didn't get the side lift (in addition to underbed hatch) because this would make access into the trailer easier when the tent is not setup. It's a great product from a great company.
Rob.
AnswerID: 98129

Reply By: Member- Marc - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 13:57

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 13:57
Kaz & Dale,

I placed an order for our camper early Jan and will pick it up around the 8th of March.
After doing the legwork in investigating camper manufacturers it was clear that not only did Tambo offer a good soild product but also the service as well.
As a Mechanical fitter i tended to take more notice on the construction of the trailer than the extras attached, i feel that the trailer will fail much sooner than the canvas. This said, Tambo Trailers appear to be constructed very well and, if all accounts are correct in this forum their are alot of happy owners.
I made the decision to add just about every option to the cooper i could so i could spend more time in it, not working on it!!!

We pick ours up soon and have already planned its first trip (can't wait).

In closing, you will need to go a long way to find a better product at a more competative price.

Enjoy.
Cheers,
Marc.
AnswerID: 98132

Follow Up By: Kaz & Dale - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 14:11

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 14:11
You've got me sold Marc.Are you sure your not a sales rep for Tambo.
By the way can you leave the awning attached when you pack away?
thanks
Dale
FollowupID: 356642

Follow Up By: Member- Marc - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:26

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:26
Guys,
As i said, i pick mine up early march, but i am told by Kieth from tambo that you can leave the awning if you wish.

cheers,
Marc.
FollowupID: 356655

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 10:43

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 10:43
Hi Dale,

Yes you can leave the awning attached. It folds over beautifully...and save a heap of time setting up and pulling down. Another tip from Amanda, is to lift the base via the gas lift when setting up. It makes it easier to erect.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 356740

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 16:22

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 16:22
Hi Dalw, picked mine up late last year and can't speak highly enough about them.

1. The end wall is worth every penny, get both if you can stretch that far. I don't have the draft skirt, but use the area directly under the rear of the trailer for a couple of sizeable boxes of goodies so I wont be getting it.

2 Can't comment, made my own kitchen.

3.You will know it's there, especially without elec brakes. You may need to get an adjustable hight hitch for a sedan, my standard hitch on the Triton was about 3-4 inches too low.

4 If I could choose only one of the extra's available, side lift would win hands down, makes life that much easier.

Also I leave the awning on when packing up, fits under the cover no worries.
Blue
AnswerID: 98143

Reply By: flappa - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:51

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:51
I cant comment directly , on the Tambo , but , the Draft Skirts are a good idea.

The other is about the Brakes. For what you are getting , and the add ons (water tank etc) , you will be quickly getting towards the 750kg limit. Even if you dont get there , on a Car , I would think it would be a safe option.

Without knowing what the Car is I suspect it would be under 1800kg's (Dunnydore is about 1700kg I think). 600 or 700 kg Pushing a vehicle weighing 1800 kg , in a quick stop (especially a 2wd) , could be interesting.

I know that my 600kg camper being towed by my 3000kg Patrol , WITH ABS , without trailer brakes is borderline. (soon to be fixed I will add).
AnswerID: 98273

Reply By: Member - Paul J (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:13

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:13
After comparing the Cooper to other's, price and build wise, and also the very good feedback from owners on EO, i too have ordered 1, pick it up this Sunday. Amanda has been very helpfull with my numerous phone calls re additions and changes to my order. I only wish now that i got the brakes as well..only 5 more sleeps to go.....................

Cheers Paul..
AnswerID: 98447

Follow Up By: Kaz & Dale - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 14:58

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 14:58
Hi Paul have just placed the order for mine this morning and decided to go for the electric brakes as wouldn't be to hard to hit the 750kg mark once you load up. Have ordered end wall, draught skirt ,lido stove,tailgate kitchen,tool box,water tank,electric brakes and side lift just have to wait till August now to pick it up. Let us know what you think of yours when you pick it up and how easy it is to set up.
ENJOY
regards Dale
FollowupID: 356956

Sponsored Links