Aaaah the 12 qt camp oven

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 21:29
ThreadID: 20413 Views:2201 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Had to post this,

had an itch to scratch this arvo, busy weekend with relly dropping in unanounced from Finland, had not seen her for 15 yrs. Anyway, had to drop them off in Sydney Central for coach to Canberra. I hate the city and especially going in there on the weekends. Got home around 1430 and started thinking about.... hmmmm...a juicy chook from the camp oven. Did not know the wood situation but knew it was around 1500 hrs and the shops were open. So...trusting in fate I went there and found one last free range chook, 1.5 kg. Grabbed some unwashed spuds and sweet potato and hurried home. Found suffiicient firewood and got the 1st fire going.

Got the 12 qt oven out and preheated it on the fire while seasoning the chook and washing the spuds. Oven reached around 350 C so built second fire and shifted the wood over, leaving the beautiful coals in the first fireplace. In went the chook and the spuds, oh the sound when you close the lid and it starts... Cooked bacon and eggs on the second fire for the kids and then while they were in the bath I put the sweet potatoes in. 2hrs later, dished up and

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!

I scratched that itch. We sat at the big jarrah dining table and dined in excellence, barefoot style with the stubbies and flannel shirt.

Thank God for cast iron camp ovens.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 22:12

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 22:12
Bushfix.........

We don't believe you. We need proof of this. Please forward your address to all and sundry here, along with the date of the next camp oven cook off!!

Let us all be the judge... LOL!!

What a pleasant way to spend a Sunday Arvo. Good work mate.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 98219

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:59

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:59
It certainly was pleasant Wolfie, the little 'uns flocked to it and wanted to know where the marshmallows were, also keen for Dad to go and get the tent, we're going to camp tonight Dad are'nt we! It was a good sign.

Jeremy.
FollowupID: 356807

Reply By: ianmc - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 22:54

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 22:54
12 qrts, thats some oven, how heavy is it, make a good sand anchor!
AnswerID: 98220

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:04

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:04
G'day ianmc,

it weighs about 11kg but much heavier when you are carrying it inside with the tucker and you know you had better not drop it. I use two heavy duty hangin basket hooks for my camp ovens as they are long and thin enough, have rounded hooks one end (for the camp oven) and square hooks the other (for your hands.)

Sand anchor?! I hope it never comes to that, I love 'em too much.

Jeremy.
FollowupID: 356811

Reply By: Alick & Willemina from Murchison Safari's - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 23:08

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 23:08
Good stuff bushfix, pleased we are not the only ones that crank up the camp oven at home, way to go mate. Cheers
AnswerID: 98222

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:15

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:15
Eh there Murcho's,

Truckster had put up a post asking for New Years resolutions, but I think it got deleted soon after (geez Bruce how's your strike rate eh?)
One of my NYR was to try to make it a more regular occurence, sort of like the old Sunday roast but more like maybe two weekends a month. It can be difficult with 4 kids, their safety plus that of the duty of care in monitoring the fire, and the care needed in ensuring the dinner will be looked after. Anyway, thanks for letting me know you do it too.

btw, did anyone notice I wrote 350 C, I meant 350 F.

cheers Murcho's from a West Aussie living in NSW (10yrs now.)
FollowupID: 356812

Reply By: michael42 - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:28

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:28
Hate to admit it, but we have been known to play as well. Bought a Coleman campoven/stove the other day and whipped up 2 quiches, 2 batches of scones and a cake on Saturday night.

For a quicker meal (rather than wood) we have used heat beads for the campoven, not as messy as scorching the back lawn and pretty quick. Love lifting the lid and sending the aromas next door - brings 'em to the fence real quick!!

Michael
AnswerID: 98355

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:38

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:38
eh there Michael,

I actually have two permanent fireplaces "installed" in a quiet (not so busy) part of the backyard. I get annoyed when the greenery starts back inside the rocks, means I've been slack lately. :)

We have 1/4 acre and not so close to neighbour's houses. It's the possums that gather on the fence.
FollowupID: 356816

Reply By: paj - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 21:06

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 21:06
Must have been that Sunday,

I had a similar urge but mine involved a marinated chicken, our Cobb and some hickory chips.

My daughters were on their way out - "Someone's having a Weber tonight"

"Nope, its a Cobb and it's ours>"

"But we will miss out."

"Yeah sad eh.”

A very pleasant meal out on the back pavers.

Cheers

Paj
AnswerID: 98372

Sponsored Links