Camper beds................

Submitted: Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 08:28
ThreadID: 20418 Views:3796 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.. recently we bought ourselves a camper trailer and this weekend just gone we went to "try-it-out". Set up time "quick", amount of room "spacious", our only whinge is that the queen size mattress is very uncomfortable to sleep on. So uncomfortable that neither of us got a decent sleep either night. So we have to upgrade the mattress to something else, but the question is.... upgrade to what?? Does anyone have a brand they can recommend?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 08:38

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 08:38
I have a queen size inner spring caravan matress for sale but I think it is a bit thicker than the normal foam ones and might not fit your camper.
Send me an MM if you want more info.
AnswerID: 98243

Reply By: Member - John C - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 08:41

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 08:41
We have a 5" inner spring queen. Better than the one at home. Cost about $300.

MM me if you want me to find out brand.

John
AnswerID: 98245

Reply By: flappa - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 09:22

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 09:22
The inner spring mattress is always a good idea.

What some people do , and I've got to get to it , is use a piece of that Foam Underlay (for beds) , that has an eggcarton type arrangment.

Clarks Rubber has various qualities. From relatively cheap (about $70 for queen size) , and to about $200 for some deluxe stuff.
AnswerID: 98247

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:49

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:49
Gday Brian, I would go along with the "eggshell" underlay that was already suggested. We have one in our Trakshak, and I get a great sleep with it, I haven't got the best back in the world either, and I'm certainly not a light bloke.

We just got the cheaper version from Kmart when they had 20% off. Give it a whirl before you lash out for a new mattress, worst case scenario you can cut the eggshell into singles for the kids beds if it doesn't help.
AnswerID: 98272

Follow Up By: iMusty - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 13:33

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 13:33
We use a spring matress from our old double bed. But Kmart is a good place to shop along with all the BIG stores. You can always take it back for a refund. No questions asked.

Clarke Rubber is very expensive. If it was me and I was happy with my matress on the bed at home, I'd get a new one identical to the one on my bed and put the new one on the bed and take the old one. But before you do that, throw your matress directly onto the floor at home before you go and see if it's comfy enough.

We have the luxurary in a bus to take all knds of bedding and we sleep on a matress with a doonah on top of it too.

Having said that some campers wont take the size but a king-single might do the trick.

Just cause you're in the bush there's no need to go without luxurary.

Sleep tight ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz
FollowupID: 356759

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 17:59

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 17:59
Thanks iMusty, but as our bed at home has 750 litres of water in it.... I don't know that I should be trying that mattress in the camper!
Good idea anyway!!!
Thanks mate
FollowupID: 356795

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:02

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:02
Gajm.... I reckon you're on the maoney there matey.... we'll give that ago and see what happens. I haven't the best back either, and I'm NOT what you'd call small!!! LOL..... But on the weekend I was waking in the early hours in sheer agony from the un-comfortableness...
I'll keep you posted!
FollowupID: 356796

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 13:18

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 13:18
G'day Brian,

my uncle makes foam products down in Victoria, but can deliver. He makes mattresses mostly for the large distribution companies, but has made a few specials in the past. I used to work for them on school holidays etc.

It's a small outfit, so not inflated prices. Anyway, my point was that if you were interested in a new foam mattress, I'm sure he would be happy to make one up for you to your specifications. The other big advantage is that he has access to all of the different levels of foam, not just the cheap stuff you get retail. You can get some pretty seriously firm foam mattresses. (They've even made them for the army and hospitals with thick canvas or vynil covers).

Would be a good option if you use it a lot, but may be overkill if you only use it very occassionally.

Send me an MM if you need details.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 98287

Follow Up By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 00:54

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 00:54
Yep, Smocky's on the money.

The mattress in both my camper and the swags, are of a "Hi-density" foam. As comfortable to sleep on as the expensive "inner-spring" bed I have at home.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 356877

Reply By: Patcher - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 15:33

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 15:33
We have an innerspring in our camper, and while it was much better to sleep on than the foam we found the springs really noticable because the mattress is not as deep as a normal one and doesn't have as much padding over the springs. To rectify this we bought an eggshell overlay (from Target) and a mattress protector. We put the overlay on first then the protector, this way you don't sleep directly on the foam overlay.

We actually get a better nights sleep with this system than we do on our soft pillow top near new mattress that we have in our bedroom.

Good luck, there's nothing worse than waking up with a bad back from a poor sleep.

Cheers
Cheryl
AnswerID: 98310

Reply By: Paul - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:15

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:15
Hi,

When we bought our capmer trailer (2nd HAND) it came with two 50mm mattresses, we quickly purchased a 4 inch Hi density Queen size Foam matteress , spent a weekend away on it and thought why was it so uncomfortable ??? three weeks on it over xmas, some nights average to sleep on , others....(the ones after 2 bottles of red) were a dream.

Have since heard about the eggshell foam and plan to get one to sit ontop of the foamie.

pAUL

AnswerID: 98354

Reply By: Member - Ray Mc (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 00:48

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 00:48
Gday Brian
Our camper has a "luxura' foam mattress. It is the standard 4" high density foam mattress sandwiched between 2 thinner medium density mattresses. It gives a sensational nights sleep even for me @ 100kg plus. I have heard that the inner spring mattresses may rust in the springs, how true this is I don't know.
Good luck in your search. Trips away can be far less enjoyable when you can't sleep well.
Cheers
Ray
AnswerID: 98410

Reply By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:31

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:31
I agree with the egg-carton type overlays. Wife was 6 months pregnant and getting back aches in our home bed when we first spent a few nights in the camper. High density foam matched with egg carton overlay was heaps better according to her. I personally think because of the support our camper bed is more comfy and supportive than our $400 sprung mattress at home.

Other option would be to get a good quality self inflating mattress, to go on top. Could easily be removed for thouse nights you want to sleep under the stars or leave the camper for anight or two.

D-Jack
AnswerID: 98728

Sponsored Links