Tanami Tent

Submitted: Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 20:10
ThreadID: 20440 Views:7652 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guy's and gal's finaly got the Tanami out and set it up on the lawn . Shock horror was the look on my face when it got it up . 2 pin holes . Now I know it was a second from the trader on this sight , but I was promissed that it wont have holes , maby some over run stiching , but nothing to make it leak.

Well i preceded to rub my candle stick over the seams like the instructions said and drenched it with the hose . I rubbed some of thew candle over the 2 pin holes and hopped for the best .

Well what can I say , the inside was dry as a bone . Only water that came in was from the front zip that i drenched also . This part wouldnt get wet in the rain, but I thought i would drench it anyway . Now I am only going to use it for desert trips so im not to fussed.

What I want to ask is , how can I repair this pin holes . I was thinking of maby a drop of superglue ? Has anyone repaired a pin whole in canvas? I know I have rubbed was on it . I suppose ill have to get the was off forst some how .

Any ideas welcome
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 22:30

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 22:30
leave it set up and do the drench and dry thing about 5 times , this might 'settle' the fibres and close the hole, if not a tiny dob of silicone would do the trick nicely.
AnswerID: 98389

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 22:44

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 22:44
is there any other water proof type thing I can paint on ? or just stick to the candle stick over the seams ?
FollowupID: 356854

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 22:47

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 22:47
As Brad says, wet it, allow to dry, then wet it, do this 3-4 times.. You will be suprised how much the canvas expands.

Failing that, give Southern Cross or Freedom etc a call, ask them their tricks...
FollowupID: 356856

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 00:25

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 00:25
Eric,

There is a special concoction available in tube form. It sort of looks like clear silastic but is not. It's designed specifically for repairing holes in canvas.
Dries clear so when viewed from underneath looks like the hole is still there but permanently seals even largish holes and tears in canvas.

I bought it from the local Discount Camping store in South Oz, but assume it is also available throughout Australia.

I'll check the name out tomorrow (I'm on Night Shift) and post tomorrow night.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 98409

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:49

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:49
It is David here not Michelle (using her computer).

The product name is SeamSealer - comes in a tube around $12-15 does a great job.
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 356879

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 07:54

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 07:54
Does this mean I need to remove the wax i put on it ? And if yes , do do i do that now? lol
FollowupID: 356890

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:06

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:06
A trick my good wife uses to remove wax or crayons from clothes is to get some absorbent paper like brown paper and place a sheet each side. Then using an electric iron on a low setting, iron over the paper. May help if you do this with the tent collapsed on the ground :-).

Any one got a better idea?
FollowupID: 356905

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:15

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:15
SeamSealer. Use it sparingly!! Dries to a yellowish film. Doesn't look too crash hot against the light grey canvas of my camper :--(( but it works.
FollowupID: 357026

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 07:19

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 07:19
Hi Eric:

I bought (another) of those Tanami seconds after sending my Aussie made one back and getting a full refund when it leaked like a sieve on my recent trip to Tassie.

I put it up, hosed it down and got a bit of water inside. To be expected, as it was a second.

I got some "Joseph Lyddy Dry-Seal" from a local saddelry and have painted all the seams. When I doused it for the fifth and final time on the weekend, no water inside at all. Cost per tin is $12.95, and I used pretty much the entire tin on the tent.

It is a thick white "gunk" in the tin, and I applied it with a brush along the seams. Brushes clean out in turps. Definitely easier than that wax stick they give you, plus I think brushing it in gets it right into the seams. It dries colourless.

I also bought a tin of beeswax and brushed it in, with a similar effect on my first Tanami "second". ( I had sold my "second" to put towards the cost of the Aussie made one, which was a disaster). That worked OK as well.

Still a terrific tent - I hope one day someone can make a good one that does not leak. Like you, I will use it more as a "dry weather" tent, but will always carry a tarp.

Jack

The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 98414

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 08:36

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 08:36
Just an afterthought ...

I am about to replace the nuts that attach the arms to the centre pole with nyloc type nuts. In both my tents I have found that these nuts like to loosen off and disappear, never to be seen again.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 356896

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:17

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:17
My Tanami (Aussie made) leaked like a sieve on virtually every seam and especially around the bottom of the windows. It was replaced by Direct Camping no problems but I have not yet had a chance to try the replacement. Testing with a hose is not enough. It needs a good couple of hours of rain and not even heavy rain to really saturate the seams. I would recommend waxing the seams but not until you find out if they do leak. I would not recommend ironing wax on unless it is very low heat. I would not be sure what it does to the canvas waterproofing. A heat gun was recommended to me to help melt the wax but again I think you need to be careful.
I am not convinced the window design with the flaps on the inside is a good idea for waterproofing. They allow the area around the bottom stitching of the window to hold water.
Here is a funny one. We were out in strong winds once and the tent collapsed on us. The cross bars are held in by friction on a pin through some holes. In the wind the cross bars were moving up and down and eventually (sometime after midnight of course) the pin worked out and the cross bars came down. It has not happened since!
AnswerID: 98575

Reply By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:24

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:24
Well as all melbournians know , it rained for a few hours this morning and the tent didnt leak , I gave it another soaking this arovo and seamed ok , I will do it 2 more times and wax the hell out of the seams and then pack it up for Murray sunset for it's first trial
AnswerID: 98578

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 00:08

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 00:08
Eric,

Back to your original post:- You were talking about holes and what to use on them.

The product I was referring to is called StormSure.
It comes in a 15gm tube a cost was $14.95 when I bought it 6 months ago.
It suposedly provides a permanent flexible waterproof repair to natural & manmade fabrics, including neoprene rubber and vinyl waders, besides tents.

It sure worked on my canvas tent. I had lent it to my sweet sister-in-law who went camping and must have had the tent too close to a camp fire. Had about 4 burn holes in various places, up to 12mm or so in size. The Stormsure certainly provided a transparent but permanent repair to the holes.

I wouldn't use this product on seams though. The wax would be a better solution in that case.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 98592

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 07:26

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 07:26
can it be purchased at akk camping stores? eg : Ray's ?
FollowupID: 357015

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 01:51

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 01:51
Hi Eric I was on a 7 day camp near Rushworth in an ex army tunnel tent 14'x14",
this was its 1st outing and at night you could almost see the stars it had that many pin holes in 1 of the 1/4 panels. Strange thing was the last night it poured rain and guess what ...... no water inside that tent.

When we purchased our own center pole tent 18months ago we were told to use it
and sure 1 day it will rain, if it does leak a little just put a towel under the leak, assuming you get rained on for about 8 hrs it should be enough to expand the canvas & stitching.

8hrs of steady rain is what you need & you can't duplicate that with a hose.

Cheers & looking forward to getting out on some tracks again.

AnswerID: 98602

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 07:24

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 07:24
Yes you can , Just throw it in someone pool lol
FollowupID: 357014

Sponsored Links