"What's the time Mr. Wolf?"

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 08:23
ThreadID: 20450 Views:2250 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Well, if I had one of those watches, you know, the ones that have all the numbers, dials, testosterone vials, lasers, and Star Trek communicators built in, I could tell you, to the nearest parsec.

So, in an effort to remedy this situation, I went to a retailer in Adelaide, and had a gander at the Lumilux watches by Traser. Well, I could fantasise about becoming a Navy Seal, Or a Commander, or maybe a Stealth Pilot. Whoa!!! Too many choices............

Anyway, settled on one of the 3000 series, with a khaki face, $385.00. Was getting REALLY interested, and then the faux-par of the week from the sales assistant....

"Yes Sir, they do have good customer service. We have had a couple of divers come back in with these watches, and they were a little fogged up on the inside, and we were able to simply change them over...."

Let's see, water resistant to 200 metres...... must be a damn good diver.

So, I feigned my sudden lack of interest with the excuse that I just have to pop outside and make a telephone call......... from work............. 4 kilometres away............

I have since had a look in some of the jewelers stores, wow, lots of nice watches.........
Which brings me to a question...........

They have this weapon watch there, like it's made out of titanium, and has some sort of crystal lens, and not even Jules Verne could get this bugger to leak at the centre of the earth. It has a compass, tells you the temperature, tells you your altitude, oh........ and tells you the time as well.

How does a device, which is sealed really, really tight, against water, air, space dust, and god forbid us......... dishwashing water, manage to tell you the shift in altitude? Like, isn't there a thing which has to expand & contract according to your height on this great planet of ours?

I'm not going to buy this timepiece by the way, oh no.... well over the $1000.00 mark. I am going to work this morning, and I will cut a small stainless steel triangle, and mount it to my wrist with one of those big fat red elastic bands my postie keeps dropping at my door. Yep, Wolfie's gonna have a gnomon on his wrist.

So, next time you ask me the time, please make sure it's during daylight hours.......

Wolfie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 08:45

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 08:45
Just make it into a Sun Dial.
AnswerID: 98425

Reply By: Bros - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 08:57

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 08:57
Wolfie,
Very, very deep stuff this.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 98429

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:00

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:00
have you forgotten all about that chair you are supposed to get?
AnswerID: 98430

Reply By: glenno(bris) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:34

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:34
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_foretrex201.html
AnswerID: 98437

Reply By: locallaw - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:15

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:15
Gidday All
Most of you forumites being young would not remember the two way watches the famous detective DICK TRACEY wore.If I can see through the fog it was about 50 to 55 years ago.He was everyones hero in those days batteling the bad guys.
All he had to do was talk into his watch to warn his fellow officers.Look how things have changed today you can talk around the world from anywhere.All you old and wrinkley ones should remember.
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 98448

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 11:09

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 11:09
am I THAT old...I can remember Dick Tracey too.....
FollowupID: 356922

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 14:22

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 14:22
it would have an externally referenced aneroid or simple pressure transducer,

No wonder you dont have time to make rockets !!!
AnswerID: 98499

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 20:36

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 20:36
goodday wolfie
nice picture baying at the moon
i bought my watch at Kliens nothing fancy about $30 bucks buts has larger numbers so a blind old bugger like me can tell the time 8.35 pm ???????
steve
AnswerID: 98546

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 20:59

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 20:59
Lone,

You have too much time on your hands.

What can I say. A $10 watch is all I have. When the battery runs flat , it is cheaper to buy a new watch than to replace the battery.

I only need awatch in the city anyway. On the trips , when the sun is up, start driving, When the sun goes down, stop and make camp.

Did you know that if you hold your hand out in front of you at arms lenght and look at the sun above the horizon, the number of fingers that will fit between the bottom of the sun and the horizon will equal the amount of time until the sun sets.
One finger equals 15 minutes
Two fingers equals 30 minutes
Three fingers equals 45 minutes

Wayne
AnswerID: 98551

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 08:14

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 08:14
I was driving along the road one day, and some one beeped their horn at me. I turned to look around, and they were showing me one finger, and that's about right, it did get dark not long after!

Wolfie
FollowupID: 357018

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 00:52

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 00:52
G'Day Wolfie,

I walked into the jewllers last week to have my watch battery replaced after 6 faithful years of non-stop operation. While I was there I saw this beauty.

Tissot T-Touch

It was $1,100 worth but was very impressive for the adventurer trapped within! Has a compass function where you press a button (actually you just touch the face near the function icon!) and the hands will move and become a magnetic compass. The nice young girl gave me a great demo of it and it seemed to work really well.

Had thermometer and altimiter and barometer as well as alarms and chrono.

Very impressive bit of kit. Was this the one you were looking at?

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 98600

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 08:12

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 08:12
That's the one!

Wow, if I bought that, I would expect to be a chick magnet as well............. has it got one of those?

Wolfie
FollowupID: 357017

Sponsored Links