How are the Repco Fridges going?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:57
ThreadID: 20459 Views:2529 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Just wondering how the Repco fridges are going that some members bought recently are going. Our local repco store have them on special today for $399.
And as our built in fridge is carking it, we are thinking of buying one.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 17:10

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 17:10
Hi Craig,

You can follow the story of my fridge in the archive if you search for Repco Fridge.

After swapping the faulty for this new one, it's great on gas, good on 240v and haven't tested it on 12v.

Will be installing a 12v fan if I ever get some photos of how others have installed them.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 98522

Follow Up By: Bros - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 21:20

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 21:20
Smocky,
Have a word to MEMBER-Crazie.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 356979

Follow Up By: AdrianLR - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 21:45

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 21:45
Smocky,

I looked into this a few years back in great depth as we have an old Electrolux in the camper. In the end I improved the venting and as we didn't have a permanent 12v setup so I didn't end up fitting a fan. Along the way I had lots of advice which boiled down to - the fridge has been very carefully designed to draw cool air from the bottom, pass it over the cooling fins and vent at the top. The best place to install the fan(s) is at the top of the fins so that the path is followed. If you install at the bottom it may still help but if the flow is disrupted too much then the re-condensation process may be less efficient.

A terrific website for this is:
link text

and go to the Technical section/index and look at the diagram of the process to get a feel for how it all works.

Adrian
FollowupID: 356985

Follow Up By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:47

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:47
Hi Smocky,
I have been following your articles on the fridge, I was just wondering how it has been going since.
Also do you have any ideas on how they can be levelled up inside a van. I was thinking of making up a wooden frame for it to sit on and attach some feet of something like a washing machine which are adjustable, thus hoping that then it wouldnt be as important if your van wasnt quite level. I shall go and do some searching and see if i can find any ideas.

cheers
FollowupID: 357057

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 13:05

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 13:05
Hi Craig,

If you click on my profile, there is a picture of the stand I built for it. New unit is fine.

I can send you some plans if you need, but I just made it out of pine and then painted it. You can purchase the screw in legs and the "nuts" for them at Bunnings. You drill a 12mm hole into the bottom of the wooden feet, then hammer in the threaded holder and screw your feet in. Works a treat.

Cheers,

Jason
AnswerID: 98658

Follow Up By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 13:50

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 13:50
Thanks for that.
It looks like just the thing I was thinking of.
I'll tell you what you have certainly got the kids set up well in the back seat, DVD and all.
I remember when our kids were little, we would take the read along tapes with us, it got a bit momotonous on a 10 hour trip listening to chicken little over and over again.

cheers
FollowupID: 357066

Sponsored Links