How croded does Cape York get during school holidays?

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2049 Views:3013 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me what Cape York is like in July during the Queensland and NSW school holidays? How busy is it? How crowded are the camp sites? Is it possible to experience a sense of isolation?

Any information would be much appreciated!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Olaf - Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00
We've just returned from the Cape in July. The trip was awesome, despite the range rover breaking down. You can definitely get true isolation in the Cape, with literally hundreds of camping sites, some of them amongst the best in the country. Some sites are well booked, where you need to pay, eg Kalpower, where there are showers! Others, like Chilli Beach only had a few campers. You do need long range fuel supply to get to some of the more remote places. some of the main towns are busy, eg Weipa, but the Weipa caravan park is particularly good, with mown grass and shady trees. The only thing that caught us out, was that we took too light fishing tackle - the fish are BIG in the north.
AnswerID: 6981

Reply By: Beddo - Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00
Just got back from Cape York last night - isolated - depends on your definition - on the Old Telegraph Line(OTL), we saw a vehicle atleast 1 every 3 hours. The campgrounds - if you go the the road houses or Twin Falls, Weipa, and at the top - expect to see crowds. Along the OTL you can get away from people and find a camp site by yourself. At the top we stayed at Punsand Bay, you have to pay but it was great with the option to go for seafood nights, kids club etc and it was close to the major points of interest. Another option is Somerset (free - except you do really pay for it with the ferry ticket at the Jardine). How busy - I was told from Locals that August was the busiest time - and it was'nt too crowded - just set up camp eaely to get the best site. I didn't like Twin Falls too much as there were too many people and tour groups. Nice for swim but that was it. Delhunty River was nice, as was the top of the OTL near the old crossing. Cheers Beddo
AnswerID: 7023

Sponsored Links