BFG Mud Terrains

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:10
ThreadID: 20490 Views:1765 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have just purchased a set of BFG Mud Terrains in the 285/75/16 size, and am wondering what is the best pressure to run these on, when travelling on the highway. The guy I bought them off said 40psi. Just wondering if that is the general consensus.
I figured when I got on to the rough stuff as in dirt and rock ect I'd drop them to around 24 psi.
Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.
Thanks Ozzy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:16

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:16
Ozzy
Sounds about right to me but depends on weight you carry I run 45 in my GQ work ute (loaded) That is 45 rear and 40 front
Cheers Poppy
AnswerID: 98574

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:18

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:18
Ozzy,

You didn't say what vehicle you are driving, but I run 38psi in the 80Series and the Troopie.

Letting them down is a personal thing, I never do unless it is on sand.

Wayne
AnswerID: 98576

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 23:01

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 23:01
Ozzy. BFG have a measurment on their brochures called the "Static Loaded Radius" which is the height from the ground to the centre of the wheel. I don't have the current MT KO brochure but on the old one for an LT285/75R16/D the measurement is 15.1 inch's. The way it was explained to me by the dealer was that no matter what car the tyres are fitted to or what weight was being carried that measurement stays the same. The reason was that the tyre is designed to run in a certain shape to get the best wear, roadholding, braking, traction & avoid tyre damage. On my 100 series when empty the preasure to get that 15.1" is around 36 PSI. So when loaded I may get up to 42 in the back & 38 front. 40 PSI sounds a touch high but many recomend the higher preasures to get better economy at the expense of roadholding etc.
Of course offroad preasures change again but thats another debate.
Cheers Craig................
AnswerID: 98580

Follow Up By: Ozzy - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 21:18

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 21:18
Thanks for the info Craig, I got hold of a new brochure and the "Static loaded radius" is 372mm or about 14.6 inches.
As soon as I get a chance i'll have a play to see what pressure is required to obtain the above.
Thanks Ozzy
FollowupID: 357129

Reply By: desert - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 08:37

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 08:37
I think you're in the ball-park Ozzy, you'll just have to suck it and see, won't you? Try them at forty (a tad high in my opinion, but then I don't know what weight you are carrying), and keep an eagle eye on wear across the surface of the tyre. Then experiment by trying 35psi for a month or so and take another measurment. You'll soon work it out. There are NO hard and fast rules about which pressure for which truck at any particular time. And half the tyre people have no idea what sort of driving condiitons we have to face when four-wheelin', so don't put too much faith in their advice. Just because another person has the same tyres and same vehicle, does not also translate to the same pressures because we all drive differently, carry different loads and have different environments in which to operate, eg, stop/start traffic as opposed to country roads Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 98618

Sponsored Links