david koch

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 06:21
ThreadID: 20495 Views:3775 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
just fired off an emial to koch and sunrise to say after his stupid comments yesterday i am now a former veiwer of sunrise maybe a few others should do the same and tell him he does own a 4x4

steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 06:31

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 06:31
What did he say.

all the best
Eric
AnswerID: 98606

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 07:08

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 07:08
Hello Eric,
David Koch owns a Mitsubishi Outlander, see Post ID:20472 the man seems to thinks it's a family sedan.
Other thing, someone needs to point out to Harold Scruby during one of his many talking head sessions that a Subaru Forrestor AWD as he calls it has 4 wheels. If they all drive, it's a 4WD.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 357012

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 06:44

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 06:44
More importantly, whats his email addy ??????
AnswerID: 98607

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:45

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:45
goodday mate
i sent the email to sunrise@seven .com.au
no reply at this time but just ducked home for a quick lunch

steve
FollowupID: 357035

Reply By: Sweeney - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:43

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:43
Could that the LC 80/100 series GXL with the constant 4WD could be more correctly termed AWD not 4WD???
AnswerID: 98634

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:52

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:52
Makes sense to me!

Does that mean a clown on a unicycle has an AWD vehicle?

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 357036

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:50

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:50
I've just sent off a long-winded email to them as well.....got a bit off my chest. I told 'em I wouldn't be watching their poxy show anymore (never did anyway..hahaha) and that I'd be watching nine's TODAY show from now on (which I always have done).

Here's what I said....................

"Following yesterday's biased babble by your presenter Mr Koch, I have decided to start watching the nine program "TODAY" from now on.

I understand Mr Koch actually owns a 4wd vehicle himself, yet has the temerity to "slag-off" at other 4wd owners.

There is a lot of b/s going around about 4x4 vehicles at present and i think that people need to put their collective brains into gear before they drop the clutch on their jaw muscles.

1.) A large 4x4 (say landcruiser or patrol) takes up about the same amount of "floor space" as a falcon/commodore etc. They are a bit higher I must admit and owners are already paying the consequences of this by not being able to access some undercover carparks.
2.) If a special licence is to be introduced for 4x4 drivers, then i assume these will need to be obtained by Mr Harold Srubby (i put the extra "b" in his name on purpose), David Koch, the wives of all politicians who own/drive BMW X5's, Mercedes ML350/ML500, Lexus etc. Note that as I class myself as a "legitimate" 4 wheel driver (I am the president of the Yorke Peninsula 4 Wheel Drive Club and have undertaken special training to qualify me to cope with the peculiar handling aspects of a 4x4), I have no objection to a special licence being required by all drivers of such vehicles. The difficulty is going to be getting accreditations for the "city-based" owners of 4x4s who have no intention of ever going off the bitumen in the shiny status symbol.
3.) I totally agree that there are many, many 4x4's owned by people who would be far better off owning a normal 2wd car. However, I get annoyed when all 4x4 owners are tarred with the same brush. I use my 4x4 for it's intended purpose. I live in a country town and only venture to Adelaide when it is absolutely necessary. I take my wife and 3 boys on outback holidays as often as time and funds permit.
4.) The other issue which raises it's ugly head with people like your Mr Koch from time to time is "bullbars". The very idea that 4x4 s (and presumably sedans) must not have a bullbar when driving in a city, is totally ludicrous. Does that mean that if I want to venture into the city for a day, I would have to spend several hours unbolting my (air-bag compatible) bullbar off my Nissan patrol and then drive that vehicle into town with no frontal-protection (with which to ward off those evil pedestrians). Let me say here and now; if my vehicle hits a person when I'm travelling at 50k/h (or even less) that person is VERY likely to be dead, regardless of whether I have a bullbar, don't have a bullbar or even if I had a inner-spring mattress tied to the front of my rig.....you simply don't get up and walk away after you've been hit by a 2.5 tonne vehicle....or, for that matter, a 1.5 tonne Falcon etc. Pedestrians have a responsibility to behave themselves; I have to when I walk along the streets; so does everybody else.

Anyway, now that channel 9 has pensioned-off that Leebman bloke, I reckon they have a better breakky line-up than you anyway......so, as I said, thanks for the laughs and maybe you can suggest to Mr Koch that he should get real.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 98645

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:40

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:40
Here's mine:

David you are obviously a very ignorant person to calim that your vehicle is not a 4wd. how many wheels does your car have? How many wheels are able to put power to the road?
I think you'll find the answer to both those questions is 4.

I own a 4wd myself. My family and I use it to go offroad at least once a month.
David, how many times have you taken your four wheel drive off road?
So I'm the baddy am I, because I maintain my car to the n'th degree, I ensure my motor is always running 100%, my tyres and suspension are perfect as I don't won't my family getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. I know my car inside and out, and ensure it is always safe, reliable and running clean.
What do you do for your cars maintance? You wouldn't really give ableepwould you...
I imagine you (like most car drivers) wait until your tyres are bald and dangerous before you think about replacing them. When was the last time your replaced your shock absorbers or suspension springs??

So don't get all high and mighty about 4wd owners because you are one, and of the worst kind at that.

Why make a struggling family pay more to use their 4wd for it's intended purpose and allow their children to experience this great land?
Do you think people who buy $70,000 4wd's to go to the shops and back care about a couple of hundred dollars extra a year??? Of course not.
I do however, my family would struggle with extra fees and charges purley because we own a 4wd. Talk about unfair!

People with attitudes like yours make me feel sick.

I spoke to a taxi driver last night who was whinging and whining about 4wd owners... He just bought his wife a 2wd Ford Territory. Talk about an IDIOT!
His wifes Ford Territory (2wd) weighs MORE than my 4WD, has MORE power than my 4wd and produces MORE pollution than my 4wd. And I'M THE ONE GETTING INSULTED ABOUT POLLUTING THE ATMOSPHERE AND HAVING A DANGEROUS VEHICLE??????

You people need a serious wake up call.

FollowupID: 357056

Follow Up By: slyonnet - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 15:23

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 15:23
That's what I sent them yesterday:

David Kosh should think a bit more before opening his mouth. His comments regarding 4wds in the city were inappropriate and based on no logical fact.
Of course 4wds can be bigger and heavier than a sedan, but people movers, vans and light trucks are bigger than a sedan too. In addition a number of 4wds are actually smaller and lighter than some sedans. Regarding fuel emissions, the V8 engine of some sedans will certainly be more detrimental to the environment than the V6 of some 4wd, and how many old sedans are driving around towns followed by a brown cloud of smoke? I did not hear you mentioning those?
Regarding the issue of safety, again look at how many old bombs are driven around our cities with bold tyres, bad breaks and a lousy suspension.
Instead of blaming 4wd for pollution and safety on the road, maybe you should try to take a more general and opened view on this subject and consider all the other vehicles that are driven in Australia. If you want to make our road safer and our environment healthier then some more general measures applicable to all vehicles can be implemented. A regular control of critical items in the vehicle like brakes, tyres and suspension as well as fuel emission levels could be done. It is done in some European countries for many year now.
People are not buying 4wds just to drive the kids to school like you seem to think; they also buy them to go on week-ends and holidays in remote areas of our vast and beautiful country or to tow their boat or caravan. All of this can’t be done with a normal sedan. Maybe 4wd are not the most suited vehicles for driving in the city, but it is certainly the best vehicle to explore some parts of Australia. In addition I don’t think powerful V8s, sport cars and irresponsible drivers (i.e. drunk, drugged, inattentive or prone to road rage) are better suited for driving in the city.
Finally, you really made me laugh when you said your Outlander is not a 4wd. It is an all wheel drive and therefore is a constant 4wd. it is also bigger than some 4wds like the Toyota Rav4, the Jeep Wrangler, ect. So keep pushing for a ban on 4wds for being too big and detrimental for the environment and you’ll soon be saying goodbye to your car too.
FollowupID: 357076

Reply By: slyonnet - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:28

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:28
After my post regarding this yesterday, I sent them an e-mail but haven't got a reply yet. I guess he's too ambarassed for being stupid enough to compare his awd outlander to familly sedan and that as a journalist he could not even get the facts right in the first place.
The thing is he actually doesn't intend to use his car offroad since he thinks its a familly sedan, so all those arguments about people who don't use the car for its intended purpose apply directly to him first.
I haven't watch their program this morning so maybe he made a public apology to 4wd owners? Did someone tape it if he did cause I would love to see that.

SLY.
AnswerID: 98653

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 13:11

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 13:11
I just need to make a comment.

I generally agree with what you guys have said above , however , there is one thing there that gets my back up.

Intention.

There is a lot of talk about , these shiny Status symbols , mums taxi's , etc , and the so called fact , that they never intend to take them offroad.

Well , guess what . . . the is NO law that says you have to.

Do you complain about all these Super sports cars capable of doing 250 kph + . Whats the point of buying one of those , if you dont intend to use it to its FULL capabilities.

How appropriate is a low slung sports car in the City ? They barely get over bumbs in the road , let alone driveways etc.

I'm sure they dont take to well at travelling at 20 or 30 kph in stop start morning traffic.

I did NOT buy my first 4wd for the purpose of taling it offroad. I bought it to seat my 4 kids. The fact that I COULD take it offroad was a bonus.

What if the "intent" was to do a big trip in 5 or 6 years time ?

Do you need to immediately do this trip , to require that vehicle.

What about towing something ?

being that a lot of this discussion is based around North Sydney , its quite possible that these people own Dirty great big Boats that require towing , or Little Sara , and Bobby are into horses , or they tow a big 24foot Caravan ?

ALL are legitimate reasons for owning a 4wd , OTHER then going Offroad.

Yes , there ARE other vehicles that "may" do those jobs , but , the 4wd does them best.

By all means , defend 4wds , but DO NOT bag someones CHOICE of vehicle , REGARDLESS on intention, because , chances are , you know NOTHING about that person.
AnswerID: 98659

Follow Up By: slyonnet - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 15:18

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 15:18
Fully agree and that's part of what I wrote to Mr Kosh yesterday.
In fact your comment about sport cars that can do 250km/h can go further: not only the people who bought it won't use it at that speed, but most importantly it is illegal. So far I don't think owing a 4by is against the law...
Sometimes you wonder if some people even know where their brain is when they make such comments...
SLY
FollowupID: 357075

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 13:15

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 13:15
Flappa

"Do you complain about all these Super sports cars capable of doing 250 kph + . Whats the point of buying one of those , if you dont intend to use it to its FULL capabilities.

How appropriate is a low slung sports car in the City ? They barely get over bumbs in the road , let alone driveways etc."

I stated this very fact on the SMH "forum" (loosely termed) yesterday - in almost your exact words.

They did not post this little bit of insightful comment.........................
AnswerID: 98660

Reply By: Coops (Ex-Pilbara) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 14:19

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 14:19
I'm a bit confused on this issue.

How can 4x4's take up more floor space when all parking bays are the same size?
AnswerID: 98674

Follow Up By: flappa - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 14:30

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 14:30
They cant and they dont.

The Anti 4wd brigade aren't interested in facts.

IN FACT , I think you will find that even the larger 4wds , Patrol , Cruiser etc are smaller in length then Dunnydores , and Falcons. People movers are larger in most areas , other then height.
FollowupID: 357071

Reply By: Chucky - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 15:11

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 15:11
A mate of mine has 5 kids. He bought a Patrol because for his money he got more car than he would have with a tarago, or any other people mover. Plus it looks heaps better and he can tow with it, so the holidays up north are far more easier to do.
I reckon he has taken the patrol on the beach once or twice and I know he has never been in the rough with it. It dosn't even had a bullbar. He says he will never need one.
As he say's and I agree, My family come first, why should I place my family at more risk by driving a smaller car? And if someone else is foolish enough to cause a accident and is hurt, as long as my family is safe, I can live with that.
AnswerID: 98681

Follow Up By: slyonnet - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 15:28

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 15:28
Well said. Nobody had actually mentioned safety from that angle before and it just reminded that one of the thing I was thinking about when buying or Challenger: Get the airbags and ABS package and then let the misses drive it for the rest of her pregnancy and after the arrival of the baby while I am driving the small Lanos.
FollowupID: 357077

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:07

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:07
sunrise@seven .com.au
for mr koch seems to be disabled .

lmao seemd the 4wd communoity has achieved a meltdon on their server.

or blocked any heading of david koch or 4wd

typical

just hide the facts away till after the show
AnswerID: 98722

Sponsored Links