Residents' parking charges??????

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:48
ThreadID: 20500 Views:1887 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
All this debate about "residents' parking charges" in North Sydney begs the question from a bannana-bender, what the heck is a "residents' parking charge"?

Am I correct in assuming this charge covers ALL parking for the resident wherever they go in North Sydney? Instead of having to feed the meter everytime they go to the shops?
Can someone clarify this for me?

TIA, John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:56

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:56
Hi John,

In some of the more densley populated and usually older areas of Sydney where there is often only street parking - no garages, car-port space etc., parking restrictions apply. eg 1 hour etc. but residents are exempt. I think this is what the charge is for.
I don't live in such an area but that's my understanding.
Someone who does maybe able to explain more.
AnswerID: 98629

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:01

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:01
Hello John,
Not sure of the specifics of the Noth Sydney scheme but typically they are of the following nature.
1. Divide the local council area into precincts, give them usually a number.
2. Residnts of that precinct pay the council for the privilege of parking in the street in that precinct only and are issued with an identity sticker for their car.
3. If you wish to park in a different precinct, you are treated like you come from another planet.

A precinct may be a block, a street or a couple of streets.

Hope this helps,
Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 98630

Reply By: johnsie - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:36

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:36
And people actually live under those conditions Lordy Lordy!!
AnswerID: 98631

Reply By: tessa_51 - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:41

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:41
Mr
These charges have been around in a lot of major cities for a long time. In London residents can pay up to 400 QUID (A$1000) for an annual permit to park on the street somewhere near where they live!

Tessa
AnswerID: 98633

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:00

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:00
About the only thing positive so far has been the new Roads Minister, Michael Costas comments in this mornings Daily Telegraph; he
"Branded North Sydneys plan as PC nonsense. Mr Costa, who owns a Toyota Prado, said; Law-abiding citizens shouldn,t be made to feel like criminals because of the car they drive".
The only thing is, I've never felt like a criminal.

Rob
AnswerID: 98637

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:19

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:19
I must admit, after hearing Mr Costa's other comments regarding his planned traffic reforms on 2GB this morning, he's earning my respect a little more these days....

He seems to be the only politician within the NSW state government that understands the power of the voter and is willing to listen.
FollowupID: 357039

Reply By: Hano - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:01

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:01
G'day Mr Bitchi,

I understand your queery, as a sandgroper I dont have a clue what all the fuss is about! Its obviously a big thing, judging by the traffic on the forums.
But it fits in nicely with the programming of 'infotainment' shows such as 'A Coma Affair' and 'Tedious Tonight'. Next week it will be the fat busting pill, then the shonky computer dealer, the dodgy mechanic, the council thats going broke and so on, till we get back to fuel prices and road rage and bullbars and ohh those nasty 4wd's, lets not forget about them.
If we all simply minded our own business and treated people as we wished to be treated, it would be a nicer place.
Smocky had some excellent ideas in a previous post, and what he said about statistics is right on the money.

Hano.
AnswerID: 98648

Reply By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:52

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:52
on a similar topic to those above.. i once got a parking fine in Newcastle (NSW) cause meter ran out of money > .. cost $65.
was up in sufferers paradise (QLD) start of last year.. got a parking fine cause meter ran out > cost $16.50!!!
shows how/where different states/councils get their income!!!
AnswerID: 98657

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:58

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:58
Hey Mozza,
If someone actually appears in the main street of Newcastle now days they pay you!!
Come back and visit us, the council is busting to get people into the CBD.
Actually, there parking meters are going so badly in the city they're going to charge on Sundays too.
That should bring the crowds back!!

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 357059

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 16:24

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 16:24
The root of the problem i see is that this is an inner suburban suburb with limited new development potential.

You dont see this in outer metro areas as when the councils run low on money they just approve new housing / indus. developments and reap all the new rates and permit charges that come with it. An inner city council doesnt have that privelidge and as such when they squander their cash reserves and over spend above their rates etc. they have to dream up little gems like these to increase revenue.

Where i live parking meters havent been heard of.
AnswerID: 98693

Sponsored Links