Parking fee's and Greenhouse gases

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:49
ThreadID: 20503 Views:1871 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
This reallybleeps me, Allthough what is happening does not affect me as im Live in Broome W.A it really peaves me to see councils imposing new charges to people and using "exhaust Gas emisions" as an excuse.
Im no greeny but i do believe that the world does need to start doing something to reduce the amount of polution that is damaging our atmosphere, And if the Australian Government are not willing to to do there part in regards to the Kyoto Summit which involves a reduction in gas emmisions by 5.2% by 2012 (we are infact increasing our emisions by 8%) what right do local governments have to slap the average Joe Bloggs with fee's for owning/operating a vehicle.
What is this country coming too....!!!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 15:03

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 15:03
If you want a bit of a laugh at how dumb this ruling is, then consider this.

The new charges on 4WD's will only be imposed on 4WDs with a kerb weight over 2 tonnes. So in the case of the Jackaroo, the diesel 3.0 tdi SE weighs 2055kg so it gets pinged with the extra charge.

The V6 petrol engined Jackaroo, consumes more fuel than the 3.0TDi so it follows must emit more exhaust. However, they weigh somewhere around 1950kg for an SE Jackaroo.So it is actually exempt from the new charges because it is less than 2 tonnes.

By the way, the mayor of North Sydney drives a 4WD. It must be a soft-roader because it only weighs 1700kg apparently, and she is therefore immune from her own ruling.

AnswerID: 98679

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 16:32

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 16:32
But our govt is happy to support major polluting companies by allowing them to earn their carbon credit points here through underhanded deals (eg - toyota 'sponsoring' tree planting programs, where they earn lots of international carbon credits through the use of volunteer labour).

Agree totally on kyoto. little jonny is more interested in bribing indonesia with our money under the guise of aid, to support the santos oil operation so the yanks can access all that newly found texas t under our convenient new free trade agreement.
AnswerID: 98695

Reply By: theshadows - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:09

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:09
Quick quiz.....

What is Australia's biggest producer of green house gases?

Its not power generation.... thats 2nd

shadow
AnswerID: 98724

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:16

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:16
Moooo
FollowupID: 357111

Follow Up By: Jolly - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:34

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:34
Coal powered stations in Aust (24 of them) spew out 260 Billion Litres of CO2 gas every day.....Approx 1 square Klmtr worth...But thats just CO2 gasses.....Brad i think may be right with the old Moooo Cow...
FollowupID: 357117

Follow Up By: theshadows - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:53

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:53
nope not close ....

even road and rail transport rate i think about 5th on the list behind passenger transport.

try again

I found this out by accident about 2 years ago when i did a little project with a freind who was in shafton teck.

shadow
FollowupID: 357122

Reply By: Tim HJ61 - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:17

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:17
Jolly,

There's a bunch of interesting stuff happening along lines of excise, Kyoto and emissions. I came across this today which is pretty much about the same issue.

RENEWABLE TRANSPORT JUST AN EXCISE SHIFT AWAY

Senator Lyn Allison
Parliamentary Leader and Democrats Senator for Victoria
Australian Democrats spokesperson for Transport
Australian Democrats spokesperson for Energy and Resources

The Australian Democrats have welcomed the South Australian Governments decision to run its public transport on biodiesel and called on the Federal Government to modify excise rules to encourage other states to follow suit.
Senator Lyn Allison, Democrats Leader said the Federal Government should be providing incentives for State Governments to operate public transport fleets on biodiesel, particularly those in sensitive marine environments.
"Biodiesel is potentially much less damaging to the marine environment and could be used on Sydney Harbour, the Barrier Reef, Brisbane river ferries, and many other applications, but it would require the Federal Government to extend the off-road diesel rebate scheme to 100% biodiesel applications," Senator Allison said.
Last year the ACT Government took up the suggestion of then ACT Democrat MLA Roslyn Dundas to run ACT buses on biodiesel.
"State and Local Governments are in a perfect position to generate demand for the fledgling biodiesel industry through fuel purchasing decisions in their extensive diesel powered fleets. The Federal Government needs to act to encourage other states to pursue this option," Senator Allison said.
Biodiesel currently only qualifies for the rebate scheme if it is mixed with petro-diesel - this blend is much more harmful for the marine environment in the event of spills.
Biodiesel is produced from natural resources such as canola oil or tallow and has a cleaner burn which therefore reduces particulate emissions. Biodiesel is a renewable fuel and is 100% biodegradable.
"Biodiesel should be encouraged not only to reduce greenhouse emissions, but also to reduce particulate emissions that cause of respiratory illnesses," Senator Allison said.
"Shifting to this renewable fuel also has the potential to reduce risks to our waterways."
"If the Government won't sign up to Kyoto, they should at least take simple measures to help reduce emissions in other ways," Senator Allison concluded.

To view this Press Release, follow this Link
http://www.democrats.org.au/news/index.htm?press_id=4403&display=1
AnswerID: 98765

Sponsored Links