315/75/16's on GU?

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 20:13
ThreadID: 20519 Views:2141 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone successfully run Cooper (or any other brand) 315/75/16's AT's on a GU wagon with 8" rims and a 50mm suspension lift?

Just playing around with one at the local tyre shop and it looks like they might fit. Bloke who runs the store reckons they should be OK. Was going for 305's but these bigger boots would 'fill the guards' and look cool.

Will they flex too much for good road manners?

Price is the same BTW.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 21:39

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 21:39
G'day mate,

I saw a GU at the ARB shop in Adelaide last year with that size rubber....looked horn!! However, I reckon it also had about a 4" lift. Not sure if 2" would be enough.

I would probably suggest a slightly wider wheel offset too. Reason? A mate of mine fitted 2 Goodyear MT/Rs to the rear of his GU using the factory wheels (2000 model). On our trip to Cape York last Sept/Oct we noticed the tyres were touching on the inside of the wheel arch under maximum compression....and that was with 265/75s. I have a set of ROH Sunraysias which, unbeknownst to me when I ordered them, have a 20mm offset beyond standard. This will, I believe, mean that I won't have the same issue if/when I move to a bigger tyre. I have always run 265/75's on my GU and have never noticed the rubbing my mate suffered, even when I was running factory wheels.

The other thing you're gunna have to consider with 315/75s is a diff ratio alteration....these tyres are a fair bit taller than standard and won't spin as freely with the standard diffs. Also, check with your insurance company as to whether you'll still be covered...this topis has been done a squillion times on here b4
AnswerID: 98750

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:03

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:03
Hi Roachie, the offset Sunraysia's is a real good tip, I'll look into them tomorrow. The 20mm would counteract the extra width of the 315's for fouling the innner guards. I'm running 285's at the moment with no drama's so this would get the 'sideways' clearances about the same.

The 2" lift is my main concern which is why I'm seeing if anyone runs them with my set up.

The Sunraysia's also look good on the GU. Saw all the pics of your rig in the 4WD Monthly article a while back (very nice set up by the way).

I've read the posts on altered final drive ratio's but this doesn't worry me too much as I've got a petrol which has heaps of grunt to spin 'em.

Tyre bloke reckons 315 is legal on an 8" rim in WA and the Cooper website seems to confirm this (8" to 10" fitment listed).

This size of tyres are purely for w@nk value to be honest, but if they're the same price and look super cool, well........why not?
FollowupID: 357152

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:48

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:48
The only real place they will rub is the fuel filler cover inside the rear fender.

Have done this set up on a few.
AnswerID: 98774

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:57

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:57
So they're OK with just a 2" suspension lift?

Were they fitted on standard GU 8" steel rims or others?

Do they drive OK on the road?

Thanks
FollowupID: 357158

Sponsored Links