Steep Point WA

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2052 Views:1999 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I'd like to hear from anyone tha'ts gone from the Overlander to Steep point.
We're heading up there next week and I can't get much info on the drive in apart from the trek notes on this site.
Cheers
Noel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jono - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00
Noel, i'm afraid i cant help much, but a friend used to go up there on a regular basis, and he says that now the track is very easy and is busy. Next week is school holidays isn't it??? Never the less, he says that once your there it should be great. Enjoy it. and let us know if its worth going up there.
AnswerID: 6960

Follow Up By: Noel - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Jonno,
Melissa and Kevin have also given us some great advice.
Cheers
Noel
FollowupID: 3150

Reply By: Melissa Kuipers - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Noel,

My husband and I went to Steep Point several years ago and loved it. The drive was relatively easy but the corregations between the turnoff at the Overlander/Denham road as far as the salt works barrage were HORRENDOUS. Worst we've ever seen. The result was busted radiator mounts and wiring which left us without headlights and spotties until repairs could be made. Having said that, we were in an old SWB Landcruiser so I'm sure we felt every single corregation magnified! Once you leave the barrage the drive becomes a little more challenging but not at all difficult. As I recall, we hardly used 4WD but lower your tyre pressure a bit for a softer ride and easier going through some sandy patches. The track is single lane only, narrow and winding.

Don't be fooled by the relatively easy drive. Care is required and tough patches encountered.Steep Point should be considered a remote destination as it is relatively isolated so make sure you are well-equipped and self sufficient.

The scenery is truly spectacular. In some places the views across endless sand dunes is almost "other-worldly". It can be pretty blowy out there and the camping is just above the beaches so you tend to cop the worst of it. My advise is look for a camp site with a little protection behind a dune or rocky outcrop. Make sure you have plenty of tie downs and decent pegs.

Hope this helps. :-) Melissa
AnswerID: 6962

Thanks Melissa,
We're looking forward to the trip and we're about as self sufficient as you can get.
Cheers
Noel
FollowupID: 3149

Reply By: Kevin - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Noel, I went there start of june this year. got heeps of rain then but you should be ok now!!! The drive in is very bummpy but very a very wide road. aprox 2.5-3 hour trip in from Overlander. Lots to see, Great camping sights with Pit toilets. Private Ranger(The land is part of a lease) Paul Dickenson 08 9948 3993. Take your own fire wood as no colection alowed once in the area, We saw people collect it just b4 turn off to steep point, between overlander and turn off. If you have a boat take it as great fishing. The water on the east side is 10 meters average and calm, the water to the west is ocean very deep, plus huge swells you can find some great rock fishing spots if you look for rock cairns and ladders half way down the cliff. Don't drive on the beach at crayfish bay very course sand and 30 degree slope but you can see fish in the reef if you look( no camping alloud here). We had midgees at Cape peron but others we have since spoken to got them here S.P.
so take insect repellent for Dusk Dawn Hope this helps Kevin
AnswerID: 6967

Thanks Kevin,
Really appreciate the fishing tips too. We're also heading over to DHI which is suppose to be premo fishing.
Also, thanks for the rangers number.
Cheers
Noel
FollowupID: 3151

Follow Up By: Melissa Kuipers - Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Kevin,

Can you clarify something for me. You say the road to Steep Point is very wide. When we went there a few years ago it was only a windy single lane track from the salt works barrage. Have is been upgraded from this point?

Melissa
FollowupID: 3159

Follow Up By: Kevin - Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00
Sorry obout that I ment that it was a vide road to the salt works aprox highway width, but from ussless loop turn off it goes into a single road for aprox 20 - 30 kms Kevin
FollowupID: 3165

Reply By: Matt - Sunday, Sep 29, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 29, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Kevin,

From your recent visit, are you able to tell me what is the 4WDing like between Steep Point and False Entrance? Are there many dunes & is there soft sand around? Are there a few tracks to explore up there?

We are heading up there at the start of November for a few nights and are trying to work out how much fuel to take.

Noel, perhaps you could give us a run down on your return?

Cheers
Matt
AnswerID: 7041

Follow Up By: Kevin - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00
Matt we only took what the cars normal main & sub tanks could hold and last filled up at overlander RH. We had heaps left over. I think it is onlt 180 km's in. The road from F.E. does have vegitated dunes with a single track but very easy. There are signs that tell you to reduce tyre pressure or you will be fined $x for each tyre over limit (20 psi i think). Having never been there b4 and not having a very detailed map, the road seemed to go on for a while but it was getting near dark! Yes there are stacks of tracks to explore Between the bay side and the ocean, then I think you can travel all the way down back to Tamala Station along the ocean ( west ) side( but you had better check that one first with the Ranger) I definightly will be going back some day as it is truley remote and beautiful. Very soon it will be managed by Calm and turnd into a National Park so I hope they dont go overboard with fences and regulations as I have seen the changes with Shell Beach in the last 10 Years. Soft sand Yes at crayfish Bay as b4 mentioned but that was as far as I went that side. Enjoy your self Kevin
FollowupID: 3191

Follow Up By: Noel - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Matt

We will probably do some exploring on the way back from the Island, it depends how much fuel we have left, wer'e taking 80ltrs in the tank and 3x20 litres spare which has to last 7 days on DHI. Don't know if that's overkill but we haven't been before. But will definately give you some feed back if we do stay on.
I was talking to the ranger's wife today and she said the road is really bad at the moment (like Melissa said) really corrogated. We're pakced to the hilt so are a bit worried about blowing a tyre. Haven't been able to get my hands on a spare spare wheel for the Explorer as yet.
Cheers
Noel

FollowupID: 3217

Follow Up By: Mel - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Matt,
Just seconding Kevin's comments about soft sand at Crayfish Bay. Like him, we didn't go any further that side for two reasons. 1) The sand dunes had moved and we lost the track and couldn't pick it up again, even on foot. We have trip notes and were following them (in reverse) but with no GPS, we gave it a miss. 2) Sand very soft and tricky going in some places. We were on our own but had recovery gear with us, but it was getting late and decided retreat was the better option.Crayfish Bay is lovely though and don't be put off because the track to there is very easy. It's only if continuing on that the soft sand is encountered. Have fun, Melissa.
FollowupID: 3246

Reply By: Matt - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Kevin, Noel & Mel,

Thanks a lot for that info, that all helps & is greatly appreciated. Sounds great :-)

Looking forward to getting up there now!
Cheers!
Matt
AnswerID: 7128

Sponsored Links