Dune flags and UHF channels in desert

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:23
ThreadID: 20527 Views:3035 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have stopped freeloading from this site and have become a member.

We are doing a trip from the Pilbara WA to Brisbane return along the Gunbarrell, Simpson to Brisbane then the Plenty, Gary junction, Talawana track via CSR. Is it best to have the UHF on scan or is there specific channels people use in particular places? What would a typical height need to be of a dune flag for the Simpson?

Thanks

Allan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:44

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:44
Allan,

I have scanning the best when traveling anywhere. I have a second hand held UHF that is set to scan and the in car UHF set to the convey channel.

In the Simpson Desert they want everone to run on channel 10. The problem with that is you are picking up chit chat from all the other travellers. This might be alright if you are travelling alone but in a convey it is hard to get a word in sometimes.

The red flag should be as high as possible,as there is only one tree in the Simpson that might cause a problem with hight.

I have a 1.5mt areial on top of the roof rack, that is about 3.5mts from the ground.

Wayne
AnswerID: 98771

Reply By: Matt (W.A.) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:01

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:01
Hi Allan,
Go with Ch 10 if you can put up with the Chatter! I agree with Wayne on the Dual Radio thing but do it like this. Have my hand held on the Convoy and my TX3400 on scan (It’s also more Powerful and I wont waste the batteries scanning on the Handheld) My Dune Flag is 1.85m Tall and it sits on the Bullbar 850mm of the ground so a total of 2.7m high and never had a problem. If you start going too high the thing just bends over too much when you get a little speed up.

HTH
AnswerID: 98778

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:25

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:25
Matt,

When I use the hand held for scanning I have it pluged in to the second battery, but that is a good point if using two radioes.

The areial that I use is one of the "broom stick" type. About 25mm dia and has a spring base. This will allow the areial to bend under a low branch but maintains it's height when carrying the weight of the flag at speed.

Wayne

FollowupID: 357163

Sponsored Links