The latest on dual battery setups

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:55
ThreadID: 20528 Views:1708 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
'Oh no' I hear 'not another dual battery thread.'

Sorry everyone - forgive me as a newbie, but most of the threads I've found on DBS are a while back and seem to recommend the Redarc isolator as the best value for money.

My question is simple - 'is this still the case?' I had purchased the Jaycar kit as I am ok with electronics, but after reading a few people had dramas with them I think I will return it (have started to build it yet)

Ashdowns are quoting $165 currently for the 10SBI12 isolator at the moment so I guess they have increased in price since the posts I read in here. Is there any advantage in the Rotronics system? Its more expensive I see.

I will be installing myself and already have the battery and cabling, just need the isolator and tray (any suggestions for a tray to suit an '04 Prado appreciated)

I have a real beef with the cost of the mainstrem systems - cant see $300 in an isolator I'm afraid

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:14

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:14
Boxer,

The more expensive isolaters not only isolatethe two batteries when the motor is turned off, but they also protect the ECU.

How true this is I can not tell you, but of all the Piranha kits that I have fitted, no one has had a problem with the ECU or there second battery.

If I had ECU fitted to a vehicle, and with out this working the vehicle might go to a limp mode, I would want to make sure it is working all the time.

With dual battery post there will be a lot of debate on what system is best, and I am not saying that the Piranha system is the best, just that it has worked for many years and I like the system.

Wayne
AnswerID: 98780

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:23

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:23
Hi Boxer,

Just finished typing in another reply in a similar vein! The tray I have in mine came from TJM and is made for this model (current TD Prado). It seems really solid and seems much stronger that the factory one over the other side!

Cost $160 I think. Has a brace to the front cross member and also bolts right thru into front wheel arch. Takes a full size 12" battery

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 98781

Sponsored Links