prado suspension

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2053 Views:4329 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1997 Toyota Prado with approx 150 000 ks and I beleive that the front suspension needs upgrading. Im thinking of using Kings springs standard height in the front and rear.I allready have new pedders shocks in the rear. I am going to use Monroe shocks in the front. Should this combo work OK and how many Ks does the standard suspension usually last at 80 percent road work.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cashy - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
Matt,

I have an RV Prado 98. I got about 45K from the original suspension with a reasonable amount of offroad use (30%). I upgraded to King Springs and Bilstien shocks. I have now got over 75K on the new setup and it is still going strong, even with more offroad use. If you are going to change the springs I would recommend going with a 2" suspension lift. It will give the vehicle better approach and departure angles for the off road sections, and with slightly stiffer springs it takes a lot of the boby role out of cornering.

Cashy
AnswerID: 6933

Reply By: Bob - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
Gee whizz I don't know what you blokes must do to your vehicles but I'm on my second Prado - first did >200,000k and this one >150,000k and never had to touch the suspension on either!!- do lots of off road work too.
AnswerID: 6938

Reply By: Mal58 - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00
Matt, quick question about King Springs for your Prado. I have a Prado, and have been thinking about upgrading the suspension too as the rear has "settled" with age. I have had a look at the Kings Springs catalog against Prado, and there are springs against "low" and springs against "raised", but none against "std". To get "standard" height Kings Springs, are you intending to get them specially made or do the "low" ones restore the vehicle back to standard height ?
Rgds,
Mal58
AnswerID: 6955

Follow Up By: Matt - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00
Mal,At the moment the rear springs have been replaced under used car warranty with pedders standard height springs whitch made a huge improvment to the cars handling by taking away alot of body roll but with a boot load of gear or when towing a boat it still bottoms out.I would like to go for raised springs but i am dubious about insurance implications and even at standard height i am yet to find the vehicles limitations as i dont use it for extream 4wd. From what I have been informed you can get the standard height or low springs which will still raise the car 20mm. Try the Kings springs web site and send them an email , they have returned my previos enquiries quickly.
Thanks Matt
FollowupID: 3155

Reply By: Boots - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00
Matt,
As per Cashy, my '97 Prado RV6 suspension lasted about 50,000 km (constant bottoming out etc.. even with "town" loads). I went for standard rate springs that rased the vehicle by approx 2" - they were from Ultimate Suspension (I think). At the same time I put Bilstein Monotubes on the front and rear. All that was required was a 1-off camber adjustment to cope with the increased height. The result was a 100% improvement.
I had a problem with the rear shocks however when they overextended (and broke) in the Vic High country (they couldn't cope with the extra wheel travel). I had the rear shocks replaced with "ToughDog Foam Cell's" and have no problems at all. The front shocks didn't bottom out however (had them measured on the hoist). The ride is magnificent even after 145,00 km.
My usage pattern was similar to yours say 70% road an 30% dirt.
Cheers
Stephen J.
AnswerID: 7062

Reply By: greg - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00
matt, i remember hearing from someone with suspension problems with his prado. this fellow worked in the motor trade and when he mentioned problem to his local toyota man during a service was told toyota had produced replacement package for know fault in this area. might be worth checking as fellow said hasn't had any problems since.
AnswerID: 7112

Sponsored Links