Qld camping - I have a couple of months to spare next March

Submitted: Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2057 Views:3187 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a couple of months to spare next March and am thinking about packing up the car and heading to Qld to stretch out summer a bit more. Only problem is I do not have a lot of money & must be able get access to the internet once every week or so. I'd love to spend the majority of my time in the bush - away from 'family style' camp grounds. I have read the trip notes on the site etc which have been very helpful. Has anyone out there spent a couple of months in Qld - is there good bush camping around the mid section of Qld? Also wanting to know if anyone has done a rough budget for this sort of trip - I am concerned that I have left vital things off.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00
Phil, Queensland has good camping facilities in varying degrees. First of all you can get a book CAMPING in QUEENSLAND from the Main Roads Department which lists 134+ bush camping sites around Queensland. There are numerous free camping sites and it is a matter of doing some research as to where you would like to go. There is normally a nominal charge in National Parks. There are lots of maintained campsites with facilities next to the major highways where 48 hour stopovers are permitted. Two camping places that come to mind is the Municipal Caravan park at Mitchell which has free camping for two nights and Lloyd Jones Weir, 14km out of Barcaldine has a good free campsite with water and toilets and fishing, if there is water!. Queensland goes out of it's way to promote tourism and travel and it is possible to have a good holiday without spending a heap of dollars. Most country towns have state libraries and most libraries have internet service. Sometimes this service is free or there may be a nominal charge for internet usage. Once you are on the road talk to as many travellers as you meet to find out where the next best campsite is. Have a good holiday. Cheers, Willie
AnswerID: 6989

Reply By: Kim Greenwood - Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00

Phil
Have a look at this site under campfire page 15 heading isFree camping in western Queensland

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~adryan/caravan/fire15.htm post a rply to adryan and he will send the list to you
Regards
Kimbo
AnswerID: 6991

Reply By: Tim - Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00

Phil - Thanks for the chuckle - by the way, how do you fit a couple of months into one month!!!
AnswerID: 6992

Reply By: royce - Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00

A few years ago we were travelling with another family along the coast in Qld. They did the beach thing...... we arn't really into that so we took our chances in the hinterland. We found heaps of cheap or no-cost camping, particularly in the forestry areas. We saw great country and not many people. Whenever we went to the beach [for the kids] it was packed. Inland .... beautiful. Hopefully next year we'll see some of the more central parts. This time no kids though..... they've left home! We have always travelled with rough plans only and have always found campsites at no or little cost. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 7001

Reply By: dave - Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00
There are many amazing places to see, can i suggest that you spend a little time in the stanthorpe region and specificaly in Girraween National Park, to me this is a very special place and I'm sure that you will like it too.
AnswerID: 7007

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00
Byfield National Park (north of Yeppon) is a nice place to visit. If you don't wanna drive over sand then nearby Byfield State Forest has 3 camping areas. Last time we visited it was $3.75/night per person for both NP and State Forest areas.
AnswerID: 7011

Reply By: Cracka - Sunday, Sep 29, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 29, 2002 at 00:00
Gidday Phil, Mate if you have as much time as you suggest then I recomend the sandstone country in Central Queensland. Isla Gorge, Robinson Gorge, Carnarvon Gorge, Ka Ka Mundi and Salvator Rosa. That will keep you busy for a month or two. All areas are National Parks but the facilities vary enormously. You give no hint as to what part of the scungy south you hail from but I can guarantee you that it'll still be summer there in March, check before you plan to leave though as that is right on the end of the wet and much of CQ is black soil. PS. It doesn't rain here in winter but in summer it does, a lot! Cracka
AnswerID: 7034

Sponsored Links