Gary Junction Rd

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 12:36
ThreadID: 20575 Views:1998 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anybody have any info on the Gary Junction Rd, like road conditions, typical distance travelled per day, good camps and things to see. I have a permit and the desert map series, but this is the only info I have. We will be travelling back through there in May, solo.

Allan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 12:38

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 12:38
Might bump into ya!!

I'm there in May as well.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 99063

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 18:19

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 18:19
G'day Allan,
we came through there last July.
We left from Glen Helen, topped up our tanks at Papunja, and took 3 days to get to Well 33. We could have done it quicker.
There are lot's of clear & clean areas a little off the road for camping.
When we came through the road was in good condition, but lots of coarse gravel in places. If towing then better cover the rear windows of the car to avoid stone damage.

have a good on,
Mike.
AnswerID: 99092

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 18:19

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 18:19
May see you both ,we head across to the W.A coast via the Gary Junction Rd and Kidson Track leaving Alice on the 14th.Looking at the GDT pack,there seems quite a few POI along the way.Camping,Willie Rockhole(I think)is ment to be nice .We will just camp where we end up near night fall.
AnswerID: 99093

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 00:06

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 00:06
G'day Allan,
Make sure ya check out Jupiter Well (native well)... marked on your Hema map...
There's a bore w/- hand pump in a cleared area among some desert oaks right beside the road (Nth. side of road)... We camped here 2 nights May last year, water was good... definitely worth a stop-over...
Go for a walk for a couple hundred mts or so down a well-defined track on the other (Sth.) side of the road, & you should be able to find the actual native well..
had water in it when we were there....
There are quite a few rusted-out m/t 44's laying about here as well, so I'm assuming that this must have been one of Lennie's fuel dumps....
Other POI of course, is Len's burnt-out ration truck, which I believe now resides at the Kiwikurra community, w/- a plaque having been placed at the site where the truck "rested" for so many years...
If you haven't read Len Beadell's books, I strongly recommend that you do so...
Happy travellin'...

Regards, Ed. C.

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 99118

Sponsored Links