Jurgen Xpedition Van

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 17:49
ThreadID: 20580 Views:9088 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Would anybody care to share their views on or better still their experiences with the Jurgens Xpedition off-road van. I have read a number of posts from South Africa where they appear to be well known. but have seen no feedback or comments from Australian users.
Thanks
pce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 19:35

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 19:35
I brought somew South African mags with me wek before last on return to Aus. One mag, Leisure Wheels has an article on the Jurgens Xplorer. Maybe you can access the mag on the net. Jurgens is South African built and they now export their products to Aus. By all accounts the Jurgens Xplorer is a very sturdy van and has a good reputation.
AnswerID: 99097

Reply By: Member - John C - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 22:26

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 22:26
pce,
We looked at one and thought not bad, sort of fills the gap between a camper and caravan. Medium size, gets into more places and comfortable.

The boss didn't like the decor and wouldn't discuss it further, I thought it would have been perfect, espec the price. Resale though with that decor kind of reminds me of looking at 5yr old caravans - dated.

You should check out the new camper/pop-top product coming from AORC in April. Should be at the shows this year.

Cheers
John

AnswerID: 99109

Reply By: Utemad - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 00:34

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 00:34
4x4 Australia magazine has reviewed some Jurgens vans. Not sure on the models tested but they raved about them. You could call ACP and get some back orders.
AnswerID: 99123

Reply By: Member - Michael- Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 10:14

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 10:14
ORE in Myaree Perth has one on display, the boss there raved about it, even SWMBO was rapt in it tho wasn't to keen on price
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 99138

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 17:49

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 17:49
The attention to detail & clever design features make it a great unit. The only negative things I've heard are the canvas work can be a bit ordinary & as they have over ride brakes my friends trailer had them catch fire coming down Mt Hotham. The distributer however will bend over backwards to ensure everythings put right.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 99175

Reply By: gregr - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 22:16

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 22:16
pce
looked closely at one and liked most of what i saw but
my concern was the alko type suspension which does not like the ingress of sand
and we do a fair bit of beach camping so lots of over sand towing
and also do you fix that suspension way out in the bush if you have a prob
if they had coils or even leaf springs prob would have bought one instead of our kimberley classic
pretty big dollars though
just my thoughts
see you and regards greg
AnswerID: 99581

Follow Up By: pce - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 17:50

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 17:50
Greg
Thanks for your thoughts, I just looked at a van at the Adelaide C&C Show and my impressions are generally very good although I thought the plumbing (gas/water) and electrics were rather rough, eg battery not held down, wiring not secured. The chassis and structure looked however very solid.
My request to the forum is:

Is there general support for Greg's concerns over ALKO torsion suspension, ie prone to sand ingress, very hard to repair. Any views on the suitability and reliability of ALKO torsion suspension for moderate off road use would be gratefully received.
tks
pce
FollowupID: 358443

Sponsored Links